Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help me with dry hop choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
tdoft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Help me with dry hop choice?

I just brewed up a Diamond Knot IPA inspired brew this Saturday. It used Marris Otter, Munich and Crystal 20 for the malt bill and Homegrown Galena for bittering and finished with 20minute, 5minute and flameout additions of Columbus. I originally planned to dry hop with 2 oz of Columbus but I got to thinking it may be a bit one dimensional/grapefruity. So I thought maybe I'd add a bit of interest by dry hopping with 1 oz of columbus and one once of something else. Perhaps Chinook for a little piney mojo? I've never actually tasted DK IPA and I've never dry hopped with Chinook so I'd love a little input from folks who know what they're doing. So..please give your .02 on what hops I should dry hop with. My favs in general are columbus (obviously), centennial, chinook, amarillo, cascade and simcoe. Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

With IPAs, I like to stick with the C's. They're all around great hops and work good at any point. I also like to dry hop with whatever I used in the boil. In your case, I would say go with the Columbus as planned. If you want a little extra depth, I'd say Amarillo, Simcoe, or Centennial are always an excellent choice.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-19-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
tdoft
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did Amarillo and it's really good. Very grapefruity! Will use this hop lots more from now on.

Quick Reply