I used to love drinking Downtown Brown from Lost Coast Brewery when I was in college, and am looking to make something similar now. It's been a little while since I had it, but it was pretty dark for a brown ale, but still real smooth.
I found an extract recipe online, but it doesn't really say how close it got to the real thing.
* 3.75 lbs. Alexanders light malt extract
* 3 lbs. Laaglander light dry malt extract
* 0.5 lb. DeWolf-Cosyn chocolate malt, 350° Lovibond
* 0.25 lb. maltodextrin powder
* 0.5 oz. Chinook whole hops (13.5% alpha acid), for 60 min.
* 2 oz. Mt. Hood whole hops (4.5% alpha acid), 1 oz. for 30 min., 1 oz. for 10 min.
* 1 qt. starter of Wyeast 1272 (American II Ale)
* 3/4 cup corn sugar or 11/4 cup of light DME for priming
I'm looking for an all grain recipe, so I'm thinking of using mostly 2-row, with a little chocolate malt, and some crystal since the website lists that. I'm not sure if the hops in the above recipe are right, so I thought I'd see if anyone had ideas. I tried a search on here and didn't find anything. Thanks for the help.
The Lost Coast Brewery in the Humboldt Nation