Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
LittleBroBrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with hops

looking at brewing an IPA as the next brew day would the following hop regime give me a good result for a 5 gallon IPA?

25g Amarillo @ First Wort
15g Pacific Jade @ 60min
15g Amarillo @ 10min
15g Pacific Jade @10min
25g Amarillo - Dry Hop 7 days

Or should I use a larger amount for each hop addition?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I dunno. Do you want it to be more bitter?

Even if someone wanted to give you a (meaningless, preference-based) answer, hop schedule is meaningless without information about the malt bill.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
LittleBroBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin
I dunno. Do you want it to be more bitter?

Even if someone wanted to give you a (meaningless, preference-based) answer, hop schedule is meaningless without information about the malt bill.
Basically just wanting to know if this amount of hops will be enough for an IPA, not wanting to bitter but I want to hops to come through with fruity grapefruit etc. will I need to use more hops to get a better result.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerin View Post
How bitter the beer tastes is dependent on how malty it is. You might as well be asking "Is .5lb of sugar enough for cookies?" without telling us how many cookies you're making, how big the cookies are, or how sweet you like your cookies to be.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Last edited by Trail; 09-28-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: edited for increased non-impoliteness.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Pacific Jade is not as citrusy as it smells. It's very weird artificial grape & white pepper. My buddy and I did an all Pac Jade IPA and bombed it with hops and it gave it much more of an English quality than we expected. As for your amounts, it'd help if we knew the IBU numbers you project. Then I could use something like Jamil's IPA recipe in Brewing Classic Styles to get a better idea of where you're at with them.

I like to use Jamil's book as a baseline for a lot of styles...even if I'm just comparing my grain bill and shooting for similar IBU numbers. He uses Rager for bitterness btw, which you have to switch to in BeerSmith (if you're using it).

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
LittleBroBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is the whole recipe. Aiming for smooth grapefruit aroma but floral also. Don't want it over the top bitter but enough for the IPA style and enough to make the drinker go back for more. Batch size is 5 gallons.

Grain:

3.5kg 2 row Pale malt
0.8kg Munich malt
0.4g Crystal 60l
0.5g Dextrose

25g Amarillo @ First Wort
15g Pacific Jade @ 60min
15g Amarillo @ 10min
15g Pacific Jade @10min
25g Amarillo - Dry Hop 7 days

1 Pkg - Saf-ale S-05

Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

If you shoot for 35-40 IBU (Rager) for your bittering that'll usually get you enough bitterness but won't be over the top. Looks like you have a fairly sturdy malt bill.

If you want grapefruit, I'd dump that Pac Jade at 10m and go with more Amarillo, Simcoe, Chinook, Falconer's, Centennial, Cascade, etc. Those will all be a little more in line with the flavor you're looking for to differing degrees.

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
LittleBroBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have never used Pac jade so am curious to use it. Have heard a lot of mixed reviews. Was thinking of changing the pacific jade to Pacifica what would thoughts be on that? I think it would work better with the Amarillo but I could be wrong.

Is the hop regime for this decent enough for a nice IPA or should I up the hops?

Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Pacifica would work better in my opinion. It's grassy apricot probably blends well with Amarillo. Jamil's IPA is 1oz @ 10min, 1oz @5, 1oz @0...so if you want to amp it up I'd follow something like that.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
TheHairyHop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't use amarillo for bittering, it really is a waste. I would save it for dry hopping or whirlpool/hop steep.

Beers I'll Make Again: Apollo SMaSH, Imperial 1.0, Old Chub Clone, Wheat IPA, G'Knight Clone

Quick Reply