Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with first yeast starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
GroosBrewz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Help with first yeast starter?

Hey guys-

Here's the deal. I saved some liquid irish ale yeast from the bottom of the primary in a batch of beer I made about two weeks ago. It has been properly bottled and has been in the fridge two weeks. I am not ready to use it yet, but I dont all my yeast to die either. So how do I "re-activate" my yeast so that I can collect some more to put back in the fridge for another week or two? Should I make a standard yeast starter? If so, at what stage during the starter phase do I collect the yeast?

Thanks
Chris

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
netjunk1e
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You should be fine for a while longer. I make a big starter then portion it into sterile centrifuge tubes I get at work. They have been in the fridge for 6 months now and still wake up fine when i pull one out to make a starter.

As long as it does not get infected I would say just leave it in the fridge.

If you do want to grow more yeast and portion it, I collect after it has all fell out of solution. This yeast will fall out of solution best giving you a more clear beer. This is kinda the genetic engineering by selecting the yeast traits that you like best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply