Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with first brew recipe!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
kuips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with first brew recipe!

So I have been wanting to start brewing for a long time now and I just finally got my whole kit together and everything i need... for a while

Now I need some help with what I should brew first. I was thinking an IPA or a flavorful Amber or Pale Ale - I enjoy a good hoppy beer. My wife really likes when I bring home a nice citrusy/grapefruity IPA so i would like to take that into consideration.

I was hoping to go extract with my first brew or possibly partial-mash - recommendations?

I look forward to hearing your suggests and recommendations. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 994

If you like IPAs, then you definitely have to make an IPA! I like my DFH 60 minute clone recipe for the grapefruit flavored hops.

I think that our recipe database can give you some great ideas! Some recipes are all-grain but can easily be converted to partial mash or extract. We'll be glad to help.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When I read "citrusy/grapefruity" I immediately thought of Yooper's DFH clone as well. That brew defines those qualities.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 01-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuips View Post
So I have been wanting to start brewing for a long time now and I just finally got my whole kit together and everything i need... for a while

Now I need some help with what I should brew first. I was thinking an IPA or a flavorful Amber or Pale Ale - I enjoy a good hoppy beer. My wife really likes when I bring home a nice citrusy/grapefruity IPA so i would like to take that into consideration.

I was hoping to go extract with my first brew or possibly partial-mash - recommendations?

I look forward to hearing your suggests and recommendations. Thanks!

Yooper's got some great stuff, go for it! As far as extract versus partial mash, and so on...

Don't sweat it. If you have never brewed before, it is not a bad idea to go extract with steeped grains. I would at the MINIMUM go the steeped grain route at first though. You will want to get comfortable with many aspects of brewing before getting deeper into things like mash temp and sparging. Although these become very easy after a while, you will have a lot to get used to at first, such as boil overs, gravity readings and so on.

Just remember one key piece of advice that you will hear over and over here....HAVE FUN! No matter what you brew, it will be good unless you really screw up, which is a lot harder than you think.

The people here were a huge help to me, you will find everything you will ever need here.

Best of Brewing!

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 01-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #5
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, thanks for your responses! I think I have found two options.

1- Yooper's DFH 60 clone (it has been a really long time since I had one of these, so can't remember the taste offhand) I would need this converted to extract.

2- All Amarillo IPA - this is already an extract recipe. From what I have read Amarillo has a good grapefuit flavor. Also, this does not require dry-hopping, which seems a bit intimidating at this point.

Thoughts - recommendations? Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #6
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For a first brew, go with whichever you feel more comfortable with. You want it to be as enjoyable and worry free as possible. Right now, it sounds like you are leaning towards the All-Amarillo IPA.

With that said, I have no doubt Yooper's DFH 60-min will make an excellent beer (it's actually on my "to-do" list) AND she has a Brewsmith file posted for an extract version of brew so no real conversion should be necessary. Just download brewsmith, install it, download her file, open the file and see what it's got.

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
kuips
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Myrdhyn, the Amarillo seems to be a bit easier for a first brew and seems to get good reviews. But I am definitely open to the DHF even if it there is a bit more too it.

I just looked into the Brewsmith program but I am a MAC user... any chance someone can tell me the extract recipe for the DHF 60?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 994

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuips View Post
Myrdhyn, the Amarillo seems to be a bit easier for a first brew and seems to get good reviews. But I am definitely open to the DHF even if it there is a bit more too it.

I just looked into the Brewsmith program but I am a MAC user... any chance someone can tell me the extract recipe for the DHF 60?

Thanks
PM me your email. I'll email you a text file.

Would you like dry or liquid malt extract? What size boil?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply