Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help choosing hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Germelli1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Help choosing hops!

Ok so I know this all boils down to personal preference, but since I have very limited experience I need some help deciding.

I was never in a position where I could jump on one of farmhouse's combo deals since I was going to let that decide for me but it doesn't seem like there is anything coming up. I finally have a nice cushion of money and can finally by hops by the pound. They are also $4 an oz. at the LHBS as opposed to about a $1 at the store at school so I am looking to buy bulk.

I wont be brewing an IPA any time soon and my main preference is clean, subtle hops. I am looking at brewing a cream ale, stout, brown ale and just a few other random brews in the future.

I am looking for versatile hops that fits the bill above. From my own research I have chosen saaz for bittering/aroma, willamette for aroma and hallertau for everything in between. I am not confident in this decision so any advice would be helpful! Also if anyone knows and current of upcoming deals let me know since I would like to branch out.

I am planning to order on tuesday to grab two free ounces of something random from wholesalehops

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Germelli1
Recipes 

morning bump!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
jeburgdo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I seem to have a supra-normal love for Willamette hops, but... WILLAMETTE.

Seriously, in a dark beer (for your stout or brown ale...) they cannot be beaten in my book.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
HI_SALENITY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a lot of Cascade

Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI_SALENITY View Post
I use a lot of Cascade
I have in the past as well. I am going to get a lot of amarillo/cascade/cent. next year when I get the urge for some IPA's. But for now I am looking for less citrus

Old 08-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you made good choices for what you want. Maybe also consider fuggles,Tettanger, Simcoe( if you like the pineyness). I use the first two for general purpose and I use simcoe for aroma/flavor with good not citrusy results.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeburgdo View Post
I seem to have a supra-normal love for Willamette hops, but... WILLAMETTE.

Seriously, in a dark beer (for your stout or brown ale...) they cannot be beaten in my book.
Thank you sir. I was hoping that is the case because I am almost completely set on willamette with a slight consideration for fuggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppymonkey View Post
Sounds like you made good choices for what you want. Maybe also consider fuggles,Tettanger, Simcoe( if you like the pineyness). I use the first two for general purpose and I use simcoe for aroma/flavor with good not citrusy results.
Thank you for the suggestions. I considered fuggles, but decided willamette instead since in my upcoming brews I want less pronounced hops that accent the malt flavors. I am torn between hallertau and tettanger since I have used them both in the past with good result.

With the two free ounces I'll get from wholesalehops I am considering and ounce of fuggles to do a side by side comparison to willamette and something like simcoe to experiment with.

Can anyone provide a comparison of hallertau to tettnanger or am I off base that they are similar.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Farmhouse is a really good way to go, and their shipping is cheap. Fuggles are a good route when you are looking for low bittering and low citrus flavor. I would say cascade, but fuggles work too. Look at recipes you think you'll like and find the common hops for them.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #9
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkinSurfer View Post
Farmhouse is a really good way to go, and their shipping is cheap. Fuggles are a good route when you are looking for low bittering and low citrus flavor. I would say cascade, but fuggles work too. Look at recipes you think you'll like and find the common hops for them.
Thanks! Thats exactly what I have been doing...I made a spreadsheet with all the ingredients for all the different recipes I want to brew in the future:

And I am not locked into a vendor yet, once I figure out exactly what I want to order I'm going to compare

Last edited by Germelli1; 08-22-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply