The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Help with a Belgian Cherry Kriek

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
WVBeerBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with a Belgian Cherry Kriek

My lady loves Cherry Kriek and i'd like to make some for her. I tried the recipe below and it's good but came out on the tart side. I'm looking to make it sweeter. I used 2 cans of oregan cherry puree in the 2ndary, I guess I should have used what the recipe called for. Does anyone know how I can make this sweeter or more like a Belgian Kriek instead of a tart cherry wheat beer? (aside from moving to Belgium and using an open fermentor)

3 lbs. pilsner malt
2 lbs. malted wheat
1 lb. flaked wheat
2 lbs. unhopped light dry malt extract (DME)
4 AAU well-aged aroma hops: such as Saaz, East Kent Goldings or Tettnang
(1 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
Belgian ale yeast slurry (White Labs WLP550 or Wyeast 1762)
Lambic yeast or bacteria culture (recultured yeast from commercial lambic, Wyeast 3278 or both)
6 to 9 lbs. cherries, raspberries, peaches or other fruit (picked fresh, washed, cut up and frozen until ready to use)
1 cup unhopped light dry malt extract (DME) to prime

Step by Step:
Heat 9 quarts water to 163° F. Crush whole grains and add, with flaked wheat, to liquor. Hold mash at 152° F for 75 minutes. Runoff and sparge with 12 quarts water at 170° F. Add DME, stir well, bring to a boil. Add hops, boil 60 minutes. Remove from heat. Add to fermenter along with enough pre-boiled and chilled water to make up 5.25 gallons.

Cool to 70° F, pitch ale yeast. Ferment at 68° F for two weeks, rack onto fruit in your secondary and add lambic culture. Condition cool (50° F) for three to four weeks. Rack into third vessel to clarify at 50° F for two weeks. Prime with DME, bottle and age at least three to four weeks at 45° to 50° F.

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'm guessing she likes one of the backsweetened varieties like Lindemans or St Louis. It's hard to do that in a bottle because you need the yeast/bugs to be alive to carbonate but they'll also explode the bottle if you add cherry concentrate.

You can get something like this: Cherry Juice Concentrate: A natural alternative to fight arthritis and gout
and add a teaspoon to the pint glass before you pour. That's how you'd sweeten a Berliner Weiss so it works.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wonder if brett, pedio, lacto, etc., can eat splenda, stevia, etc? You can always try backsweetening with something like that.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You probably can, but I don't know if it would bring back that intense cherry flavor either (not that it's subjectively desirable but I assume the ladies like that).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, if you want more intense cherry flavor, I'd say just use more cherries, and go with the oregon puree cans.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply