Help with Basic Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have yet to brew a porter, and I want to brew a nice, traditional, middle of the road porter than will be a nice, easy drink for everybody. I have about 9 oz of Summit hops I am still burning through, so i hope they will work for this. Here is what I am coming up with off of the top of my head:

11 pound Pale
1 # crystal 60 or 80
8 oz chocolate
1 oz summit at 60
1 oz summit at 1

US-05

mash at 152

6 gallon batch

OG around 1.055 FG around 1.013
IBU maybe 35 and color around 20.

I don't have brewing software where i am right now, so this is the best I can do.

Any suggestions?

i've never used summit

I brewed a pretty basic robust porter using:

9.0 lb pale
2.0 lb munich
0.5 lb chocolate
0.5 lb crystal 60
0.5 lb black patent

i used goldings and williamette

hope it helps

If you never brewed a Porter before I highly suggest starting out with Jamil Zainasheff's robust porter. You are on the right track. Just need to add some munich & black patent. I've made it. It rocks. I don't think summit hops would be best for this style but if you were careful about late hop additions you'd probably be just fine...

Thank you both, with the input from both of your posts I have modified my recipe.

11 pound pale
1 # munich
1# crystal 60
4 oz chocolate
4 oz black patent

1 oz summit at 60

.5 oz summit at flameout

Yep. if you want it black in color you may want to go with 6oz or 8oz EACH of chocolate and black patent. With my system I'd never get a porter to be black in color with only half a pound of dark grains...

Yep. if you want it black in color you may want to go with 6oz or 8oz EACH of chocolate and black patent. With my system I'd never get a porter to be black in color with only half a pound of dark grains...

I am going for more of a dark brown/ruby color so I hope this works. I am trying to introduce my friends to porters and other non BMC beers, and a jet black brew may send them running for the hills.

I never did ask, what yeast do you think would be good?

I have US-05 and Nottingham washed yeast slurry's available

Back