Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hefe!
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
Brakeman_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 955
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hefe!

so in order to keep the brewing operation active at my household, ive been guilt-tripped into brewing a Hefe or a Belgian Wheat by SWMBO and our blue moon drinking roomate who happens to own our townhouse.....

(i know i just posted about an IPA but that idea is going to have to wait until i clear another primary.)

so far ive been working with extract kits from the LHBS and im looking to get out of kits and try one of the veteran brewers recipes from this forum! my problem is that im not ready to persue an all grain setup.

so if any of you guys maybe has an extract conversion or even just an extract recipe you think i should try i am all ears!

__________________
Brakeman_Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 3,026
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stimey
so in order to keep the brewing operation active at my household, ive been guilt-tripped into brewing a Hefe or a Belgian Wheat by SWMBO and our blue moon drinking roomate who happens to own our townhouse.....

(i know i just posted about an IPA but that idea is going to have to wait until i clear another primary.)

so far ive been working with extract kits from the LHBS and im looking to get out of kits and try one of the veteran brewers recipes from this forum! my problem is that im not ready to persue an all grain setup.

so if any of you guys maybe has an extract conversion or even just an extract recipe you think i should try i am all ears!

Use all wheat DME... maybe 6lbs? Adjust to your desired OG, then add an ounce of hallertauer at 60min in the boil and use wlp300 or wyeast 3068 and you are set. Ferment around 68.

and dude, guilt-tripped into it? I have to have a hefe going at all time in my house.

EDIT: Hopefully someone else will chime in, I'm not sure if it's necessary to steep wheat or not when doing an extract hefe. /shrug
__________________
Ó Flannagáin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Brakeman_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 955
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

i like hefe and wheat ales on hot summer days when its 90 degrees and i just got done mowing the lawn, ive been on a winterish type beer fix for the upcoming snow!

__________________
Brakeman_Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Tenchiro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tenchiro's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 2,963
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I would steep a pound of wheat on top of the extract. I did that for my last batch but due to moving I let it primary for far too long and lost a lot of yeast. If I were you I would let it prmary fo a week after hitting yur FG then bottle, maybe two at the most.

__________________
Tenchiro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 3,026
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stimey
i like hefe and wheat ales on hot summer days when its 90 degrees and i just got done mowing the lawn, ive been on a winterish type beer fix for the upcoming snow!
I hear ya, I just love hefe's year-round. Dunno bout you, but for me winter means stouts and porters, I just polished off my first of the season, need to do another very soon.
__________________
Ó Flannagáin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 3,026
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchiro
I would steep a pound of wheat on top of the extract. I did that for my last batch but due to moving I let it primary for far too long and lost a lot of yeast. If I were you I would let it prmary fo a week after hitting yur FG then bottle, maybe two at the most.
I do 10 - 12 days in primary, then bottle/keg. Start drinking pretty soon after that.
__________________
Ó Flannagáin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
Brakeman_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 955
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I hear ya, I just love hefe's year-round. Dunno bout you, but for me winter means stouts and porters, I just polished off my first of the season, need to do another very soon.
yea on friday i did a heavy porter, should turn around around 7.5-8%ABV and ive also got a newcastle clone in secondary. IPA is next, unless im otherwise persuaded and change my mind for an oatmeal stout.

Am i correct when i have read Hefe's are a very quick brew from primary to bottles?
__________________
Brakeman_Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 3,026
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Default

very quick, not much quicker out there. They are best enjoyed young.

__________________
Ó Flannagáin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
Tenchiro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tenchiro's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 2,963
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
I do 10 - 12 days in primary, then bottle/keg. Start drinking pretty soon after that.
I am gonna shoot for that on my next batch. I am not so sure about the hops I want to use. Haullertauer are a bit mild for my tastes. Maybe I will up the hops by .5 oz next time as well.
__________________
Tenchiro is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
Brakeman_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 955
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

oflannigan and or tenchiro, if you dont mind, could you do an ingredient break down for me? im going to try this out for sure

__________________
Brakeman_Brewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looks like Hefe! Smells like Hefe! Tastes like Hefe!……Yes!!!!! knightshift Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-11-2013 07:40 PM
All-Grain - Lead Penny Hefe "German Hefe Style Beer" RICLARK Wheat and Rye Beer 1 04-06-2009 08:46 PM
Hefe is on!!! Cheesefood All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 27 05-09-2007 04:11 AM
Widmer Hefe, other AG Hefe? SkaBoneBenny Recipes/Ingredients 8 04-23-2007 06:37 PM
Your favorite Hefe kit/recipe? Dark Hefe? rwillride17 Extract Brewing 9 11-08-2006 04:22 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS