Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heavily Researched Fat Tire Clone Grain Bill/hop Schedule what yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
jrfuda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Interesting theory permo, maybe you should contact Boulder Brewings and see if you can get some suggestions from them.. maybe they'll reveal the part of the secret that New Belgium was not forthcoming with...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I have sent an email to boulder brewing asking for some more information.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
permo
Recipes 

I am brewing this up today...I have ruled out the belgian yeast strain. It is now between these two heavy weights of the brewing world:

Nottinham Dry Ale Yeast
Rogue Pacman washed yeast slurry

thoughts?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Of the two I would say Pacman.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #15
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

use a clean american ale yeast. Fat tire yeast is as clean of an american ale yeast and is very versatile. I had the opportunity to use the fat tire ale yeast in 50+ of my homebrews, lived with the son for 2 years, and you can use it for anything. Pales, wheats, ambers, everything. It is not the yeast that that biscuity flavor comes from, but rather the perfect combination of malts. Also Fat Tire is a blended beer. It is not brewed in single batches. The flavor is contributed to the blending of multiple batches before going to packaging to maintain consistent flavor. They have the most elaborate quality control division I have ever heard of. Personally, California ale or american ale yeast will be perfect.

To clarify, Fat Tire yeast is a house yeast, but so are the other like 5 they have. The chimay story is about their beer called Abbey. Fat Tire was not their first beer, just the easiest to market.

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 03-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #16
permo
Recipes 

I went with pacman yeast, got about %80 efficiency so my OG is a little high at 1.056...but it should be a tasty brew. I am going to ferment low and long.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 AM   #17
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Curious how it turns out. 8% xtal seems high to me. I also don't taste any special B. Biscuit for sure.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #18
permo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarcos View Post
Curious how it turns out. 8% xtal seems high to me. I also don't taste any special B. Biscuit for sure.
Special B may or may not be in their grist, I have found about a 50/50 split saying it is or isn't. Same with cystal 120.....I decided to go with the special B. The brewmaster himself stated to use a very high percentage of light crystal or munich, up to %30. If anything I don't think I have enough..but we shall see. I am also thinking next time, if this doesn't turn out right, I will use biscuit, victory, special,aromatic,chocolate and crystal 120 in addition to high percentages of light crystal and munich. My thoughts are that the one I have going now is going to be great though....I should also note that I added about 2 oz of chocolate malt during the last 10 minutes of the mash.

quote from NB's Bouckaert:

"When trying to emulate Fat Tire Amber Ale, Bouckaert advises that you pay particular attention to the malt bill and the aging process. "We have a malt character that asks for a lot of light-colored malts," he says. "Specialty, Munich and light caramel malts comprise up to 30 percent. For the signature toasted biscuit flavor of this brown-amber beer, add from 5 to 10 percent of malts with a nutty character." For hops, he recommends shooting for 16 IBUs with a subtle late addition of aroma or dry hops. "Don't use Cascade or other overpowering hops," Bouckaert adds. "

I should also note that I added about 2 oz of chocolate malt during the last 10 minutes of the mash.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
permo
Recipes 

update:

mashed at 154, hit OG of 1.056..just a little high but still perfectly within range. I used washed rogue pacman yeast from a %10 ABV 100 IBU IIPA. After about a 5 days at 62 degrees the brew hit terminal gravity at 1.013 and now it is just sitting on the primary cake clearing up and waiting to be bottled.

It appears as if this yeast was certainly no worse for the wear after the IIPA, some say you should not reuse yeast from high gravity high IBU beers.....

Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How did the sample taste?

Quick Reply