Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heart of Darkness Clone from AHS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
HarkinBanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Heart of Darkness Clone from AHS?

Anyone made this recipe from AHS? I would do the all-grain version if it matters. This beer was one that I fell in love with on tap in Burlington during my college years, and I can't get it here in PA. I would bottle it (no keg system.....yet), and wonder if that might hurt the result. I'm thinking this one needs to be on tap to reach its full potential. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Hotspur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can't get it because they discontinued Heart of Darkness a few years ago. They sometimes brew it randomly as a special offering, but never on any schedule.

I, too, would be interested in any feedback on this, as I really liked HoD when they made it, and being able to make my own would be pretty nifty.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
You can't get it because they discontinued Heart of Darkness a few years ago. They sometimes brew it randomly as a special offering, but never on any schedule.

I, too, would be interested in any feedback on this, as I really liked HoD when they made it, and being able to make my own would be pretty nifty.
Wow, I had no idea they weren't making it anymore. I assumed they were keeping it for just Vermonters. Even more reason to brew it I suppose.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Tarheel4985
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed the mini-mash version of this kit from AHS and was quite impressed. I kegged it so the characteristics may be different in the bottle but I would still recommend it. It's been a while since I had the Heart of Darkness from Magic Hat, but from what I can remember it was pretty close.

It definitely had the same malty-chocolate flavor upfront with the lingering coffee aftertaste. Color came out as dark as I remember, almost opaque. My only hang-up with it is that it fermented out a little drier than I remember. But that may fade with time (only kegged a month now).

Overall a great stout kit from AHS. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the original and even those who never had it. Reminds me of the the days when Magic Hat used to include it in their winter sampler.

• Secondary 2:
  • Bottled:
  • Kegged 1: American Amber
  • Kegged 2: Arrogant Bastard Clone
  • Kegged 3: Apfelwein
  • Kegged 4: Coffee Porter

Old 09-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Forrest could probably help you with this. He's a frequent member of the site. Shoot him an email and mention HBT and he might give you some info.

What's tappening? :D

Old 09-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I am here to help.

Forrest

AHS = Austin Homebrew Supply

Austin Homebrew Supply

Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
cwetter
Recipes 

I have brewed HoD several times. my first attempt was with the AHS mini mash version and then went on to the All Grain versions as I upgraded my equipment. I have been very pleased with the results and everyone I share it with seems to be impressed as well.

I have never actually had the Magic Hat original, so I cannot comment on how close it is to the original.

In searching for more information on HoD, I noticed that Magic Hat uses different Hops than what comes in the AHS kit version. Magic Hat indicates a use of Warrior and Fuggles hops where AHS uses two additions of Northern Brewer Hops.

I am corresponding with Magic Hat to get confirmation / clarification of their actual hop schedule.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Woodchuck2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have brewed the HOD kit from AHS several times, the guys in the family get all verclept when they know a batch is in the fermenter. It could be their favorite beer and I am very fond of it as well.

Quick Reply