Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heart of Darkness Belgian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
chass3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Heart of Darkness Belgian Imperial Stout

hi,
I'm looking to make a big beer for some time, and I think I want to make an imperial stout with a Belgian twist- and since Heart of Darkness takes place in the Belgian Congo, the name is a great fit.

Here's the recipe I'm looking to make. I'll be pitching on a Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast cake from a Patersbier (just 9lbs of pils and some light noble hops) that'll be around 1.040.

I'll also be doing a no-sparge mash to increase wort quality and making a porter out of the second runnings. I'm expecting about ~55% brewhouse efficiency for the stout.

the recipe is as follows:
120 min boil - 1.1ish OG - ~75IBU
22lbs Belgian pale malt
4lbs Belgian wheat
2lbs roasted barley
1.5lbs chocolate wheat
.75lbs caramunich
1lb D-180 (candi sugar) - add at flameout

2oz magnum @ 60
2oz Styrian goldings @ 10
2oz Styrian goldings @ 1

mash at 154 for a long-ass time at about 1.2 gal/lb, and then add the rest of the water you'll need at boiling to raise the mash temp to make lautering easier.

I don't have much by way of temperature control, just a swamp cooler, so I'll just be trying to keep it under 70 for the first week and then let it rise naturally to finish up.

I'm a little unsure about whether I want to use the candi sugar or not- I'm afraid its more delicate dark caramel flavors might get covered up by the more bold roasted flavors in the roasted barley and the chocolate wheat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
wolfman_48442
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If I were you I'd ditch the expensive candi, for precisely the reasons you gave.
With a 2 hour boil, you'll get enough wort carmelization to make the sugar completely unnecessary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply