Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 AM   #941
droder1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Problem is, there aren't many people willing to give up a can or two of heady I want some too!
plenty of people trading it on beeradvocate. offer up a good deal and you can get it no problem. its canned twice a week, its not a one a year deal so its readily traded. i've gotten 12 cans this way in 2 trades, didn't take too much effort. it's a community you need to gain trust if you haven't traded before, but its easy to do (ie. first time traders ship their beer first).

sure beats finding a rare soul who gives it away for free

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #942
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I have 6 jars of ~110 billion cells each. I offered up the extras to my homebrew club.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #943
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Wow, you might need to work on your sales pitch man. 2 out of 6? Maybe they're not IPA fans.

-Retired Homebrewer

Stauffbier Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #944
mtnagel
Recipes 

Yeah, I thought that was weird. The 2 people responded right away so I was thinking I'd get quite a few, but nope. Oh well, more for me

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but I feel like a lot of the homebrewers I meet seem way more interested in home brewing than commercial beers. So I wonder if people don't even know what Heady Topper is so that's why they don't care. I know several home brewers I talked to about Dark Lord Day had never heard of it.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #945
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2653 Times on 2071 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Yeah, I thought that was weird. The 2 people responded right away so I was thinking I'd get quite a few, but nope. Oh well, more for me

I don't know if you guys have seen this, but I feel like a lot of the homebrewers I meet seem way more interested in home brewing than commercial beers. So I wonder if people don't even know what Heady Topper is so that's why they don't care. I know several home brewers I talked to about Dark Lord Day had never heard of it.
If anything the guys in my homebrew club are too commercially focused and don't brew enough. On any given monthly meeting 2/3 of the group are showing up with commercial beer. I try to have at least 2 homebrews, one that's the style for the month and one other.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #946
mtnagel
Recipes 

Oh how weird. Ours is 90% home brew. People will bring the occasional cool commercial beer like flower power but not nearly as much as home brew.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #947
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2653 Times on 2071 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Oh how weird. Ours is 90% home brew. People will bring the occasional cool commercial beer like flower power but not nearly as much as home brew.
Yeah I wish I could get these guys to pull it together. I'm by far the inspiration of the group, lead most of the discussions and have to constantly correct misinformation and make myself look like a big asshole. I'm thinking of moving to the Beerocrats in Santa Rosa. That's Vinnie of RR's group

Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #948
doeboy666
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandersen View Post
Don't remember zythos being mentioned much before...where'd you hear that?
the brewers at the brewpub i work at payed a visit to the alchemist brewery. i was talking with them one day and asked if they thought they used hop extract at all. one of them did, the other didnt and mentioned he could only see zythos, simcoe, and summit in their fridge of hops.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #949
skibb
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I know Zythos was the hop used in their colab milk stout "Tarnation"

Old 05-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #950
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Zythos was in another beer john collaborated on, but I'm not sure if it was his doing or the other brewer. I remember about 6 months ago I posted a question on whether the sign saying 'proprietary hop blend" was true or not, and listed FF and Zythos. The timing is really tight. They were announced in the summer of 2011 at around the time John was probably starting to plan the release of Heady in cans. Then in September the flood hit and then after that, they started canning Heady.

I'm not sure the exact timing, that was the time of the hop shortage, I would not be surprised if due to budget problems, the flood, and shortages, that John used a blend.

Zythos has been described as similar to Amarillo, but different, with more pine and tropical fruit. I read a little bit about it and it's most likely high in Cascade, then some Chinook, Centennial, Simcoe, and Columbus mixed. Maybe John was brewing with most of those hops already, similar to our recipes here, and then Zythos came along and he made the switch? It's certainly a possibility. I know he dry hops with Simcoe and Columbus, that could explain why those guys saw Simcoe there, and Summit has been rumored to be in there too.

I have some extra Pearl, Summit, and Conan lying around after this last batch, I might grab some Zythos and do a little test batch next week.

-Retired Homebrewer

Quick Reply