New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #811
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just transferred off dryhop into keg. Pulled a hydro sample and the SRM looks about right, and the whole room smells like dank pineapple/citrus. Uncarbed taste is pretty darn close, but just a little thin from being flat. It has the "thickness" of Heady also. All in all, pretty happy with the result.

I don't know how much Amarillo is known to be in it,but I'll probably cut back on it next time. I used an ounce at 5 mins, but might go with 1/2oz.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #812
dbennett78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I made a batch using citra instead of Amarillo since I had it on hand. Wayyyy too fruity since the yeast gives off a ton of fruit notes. I definitely think Columbus is in it though because I added some after I tasted it without it into the keg. Dry hopping with Columbus gives it that dank piney flavor everyone is looking for.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #813
dbennett78
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I also just made a batch this weekend as follows:

12 lb Marris otter
1lb Munich
1lb white wheat malt
.5 lb carapils

Mash at 151

1 oz Chinook fwh
6 ml hop shot at 75 min boil
.5 lb turbinado at 15 min boil
1oz Columbus at 10 min
1 oz belma, Columbus, centennial at slow whirlpool for 20 min once temp is down to 180.

Pitch Conan and let it work.

I'm amazed by how much more hop flavor I get when I whirlpool like above and will be doing it all of my IPAs from now on.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #814
whitehause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbennett78 View Post
I made a batch using citra instead of Amarillo since I had it on hand. Wayyyy too fruity since the yeast gives off a ton of fruit notes. I definitely think Columbus is in it though because I added some after I tasted it without it into the keg. Dry hopping with Columbus gives it that dank piney flavor everyone is looking for.
Definatly heavy on Columbus and Simcoe. The grapefriut of Centennial is there as well. There must be at least 1 more, but I'm not convinced it's Amarillo. Nugget maybe, a little Cascade or Chinook is possible. Whatever it is, I doubt it should lend anymore fruitiness.

Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #815
droder1
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Definatly heavy on Columbus and Simcoe. The grapefriut of Centennial is there as well. There must be at least 1 more, but I'm not convinced it's Amarillo. Nugget maybe, a little Cascade or Chinook is possible. Whatever it is, I doubt it should lend anymore fruitiness.
vegan has indicated that amarillo (as well as simcoe and columbus) is confirmed in numerous posts throughout this thread, as john has replied to his emails and confirmed. see post 636

Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #816
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 264

That is correct. I feel pretty good with where a lot of these attempts are coming to a point. We've got BYO and Bob and a couple guys in BA who have used Apollo, then Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, and a bit of Amarillo seem to be the favorites.

Only thing I've heard hop wise one way or another not covered here is that he said to get rid of the Chinook.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #817
whitehause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by droder1 View Post
vegan has indicated that amarillo (as well as simcoe and columbus) is confirmed in numerous posts throughout this thread, as john has replied to his emails and confirmed. see post 636
Yep...Been following this since about post 4 of the original thread. I'm just giving my impression. I don't doubt there is a little Amarillo in there, I just meant that the other real "aroma" hop (besides Columbus, Simcoe,Centenial) seems to be something else.

Do you get much Amarillo from Heady?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 AM   #818
whitehause
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
That is correct. I feel pretty good with where a lot of these attempts are coming to a point. We've got BYO and Bob and a couple guys in BA who have used Apollo, then Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, and a bit of Amarillo seem to be the favorites.

Only thing I've heard hop wise one way or another not covered here is that he said to get rid of the Chinook.
I think mine (as others have indicated) is missing that last little bit of dankness above and beyond what Columbus gives. I'm leaning towards some Nugget late or at whirlpool next time.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #819
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 446

So my dry-hop of 1oz columbus, .7oz of simcoe, and .3oz of cascade smells fanTASTIC. Will likely bottle tonight.

I took a small sample, and this might be the best IPA I've made - the Conan didn't really seem to do much at first, but combined with the dry-hops it really makes things pop.

Not quite heady-topper smell though, but I'd put it at about 75% there. I think it just needs a little more columbus and a bit of another hop - not a fruity one, something more earthy-ish. Apollo is popular in VT beer I've kind of noticed - perhaps its that? Never used it, nor can I even find it anywhere...

Anyway Columbus, and lots of it, is the key. COLUMBUS. This I am sure of.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #820
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

farmhousebrewingsupply.com just had apollo a week ago, i ordered a half pound... looks like they're out now. first time using these hops, amazing aroma.

i have a DIPA fermenting away at the moment. brewed on saturday, pitched a healthy amount of conan. it's not really a heady clone, just my take on a big danky DIPA/IIPA. grains were pale malt, a pound of wheat, 12 oz sucrose ("raw sugar"), and 6 oz each of C-40, carapils and acidulated. OG 1.080, bittered with 2 oz of columbus, then added 3 oz mosaic, 2 oz apollo, 2 oz simcoe and 1 oz nelson sauvin split between 5 mins, flameout and 175*F rest. i'll be doing a double dry-hop with some combo of the aforementioned hops, exact order and quantites TBD - but the quantities will be healthy, at least 2.5 oz each.

can't wait to lay this one on MBC drinkers

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.
paulster2626 Likes This 

Quick Reply