Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #631
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Hope so. I'm tempted to really up the Columbus on this try. Drinking it now and just getting a lot of hop that isn't Simcoe. I need to find a good all Columbus, or mostly Columbus beer I can side by side.

__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #632
geneticbiscuit
Junior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
geneticbiscuit's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 23
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Has anyone tried dry hopping some bland beer (see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hop-testing-bud-light-399495/) and then doing some blending trials to nail down the late/dry hop additions? I imagine you could get pretty close this way in a week or so then make minor adjustments from there to really nail it down.

__________________
geneticbiscuit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #633
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HawksBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,509
Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentNEthinG View Post
68 may be stretching it I think. I am still getting feverish yeast activity and I am fermenting at 57 degrees currently in a secondary. Seems like Conan wants to pull it down a few more gravity points. I thought I would cold crash after a few more days and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Ended up changing the recipe slightly as I brewed w/ a buddy who contributed. Ended up at:

11 lbs 2-row
4 lbs vienna
1 lb carafoam
13.5 Pilloncillo sugar

High krausen at 24 hours w/ considerable activity at 64F. Blow off smells phenomenal, like apricots and baked bread. Yum.
__________________
HawksBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #634
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
paulster2626's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,833
Liked 324 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Default

Conan growing project has started on the stir-plate. Wish me luck!

Hope to be brewing Easter Monday - a 3-Batch marathon! The first of those beers will be a Conan/Columbus/Pearl SMaSH.

__________________
paulster2626 is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #635
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beacon, New York
Posts: 228
Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Hope so. I'm tempted to really up the Columbus on this try. Drinking it now and just getting a lot of hop that isn't Simcoe. I need to find a good all Columbus, or mostly Columbus beer I can side by side.
I can't remember, at what point and why did we narrow it down to just those four hops? At the beginning, I recall people saying that there was a six-hop blend or something, but some of that might be extract, et cetera. Do we know for sure there isn't maybe one other hop in there?

My friend brewed a rather nice Columbus single hop IPA a few months ago. It was shockingly fruity, reasonably dank, and not very earthy. Not really the usual citrus fruitiness, just a general, soft fruitiness. Took me totally by surprise. So what about something like Apollo in Heady Topper, in small doses? Apollo seems to have an even more intense "dankness" than CTZ.
othellomcbane is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #636
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 1,937
Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
I can't remember, at what point and why did we narrow it down to just those four hops? At the beginning, I recall people saying that there was a six-hop blend or something, but some of that might be extract, et cetera. Do we know for sure there isn't maybe one other hop in there?

My friend brewed a rather nice Columbus single hop IPA a few months ago. It was shockingly fruity, reasonably dank, and not very earthy. Not really the usual citrus fruitiness, just a general, soft fruitiness. Took me totally by surprise. So what about something like Apollo in Heady Topper, in small doses? Apollo seems to have an even more intense "dankness" than CTZ.
Could be, I'm down to four after having about 6 or 7 in there a few times. Just never tasted quite right, no sense in keeping them in there. I really don't even know about the Centennial. John said Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, and so I'm using them at least. There could definitely be a wild card in there, but it's got to be American according to John, all American hops.
__________________

-Retired Homebrewer

theveganbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #637
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HawksBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,509
Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
John said Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, and so I'm using them at least. There could definitely be a wild card in there, but it's got to be American according to John, all American hops.
I made sure to include those in mine, and added a few I know aren't in it just to see how it turns out. Ended up w/ simcoe, amarillo, columbus, mosaic (too recent to be in HT), falconer's flight (again, recent hop), athanum and a little bit of citra. Should be delicious regardless. Did 0.5 oz of each at 10min and the remaining 0.5 oz on a 180F 30 min hopstand. Conan is rocking as we speak at 64/65F. Can't wait to get this on tap and see how it stacks up.
__________________
HawksBrewer is offline
theveganbrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #638
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beacon, New York
Posts: 228
Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Could be, I'm down to four after having about 6 or 7 in there a few times. Just never tasted quite right, no sense in keeping them in there. I really don't even know about the Centennial. John said Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, and so I'm using them at least. There could definitely be a wild card in there, but it's got to be American according to John, all American hops.
Gotcha, thanks. I really need to get my hands on some Heady again, it's been too long and my memory of the flavor profile is pretty faded at this point. Doesn't help that it's tasted somewhat different each time I've had it, either. Planning to do my next Vermont trip sometime in May, and I'll probably try a clone attempt in early summer.

In the meantime, brewing a Simcoe-single hop IPA with Conan this weekend.
__________________
.
.

Brettanomyces & Wild Yeast T-Shirts
How Many Hop Varieties Are in the Best IPAs? - A Statistical Analysis
Bear Flavored's Ultimate Guide to Hop Varieties
Culturing Conan, the Heady Topper Yeast
othellomcbane is offline
theveganbrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #639
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,247
Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer
Hope so. I'm tempted to really up the Columbus on this try. Drinking it now and just getting a lot of hop that isn't Simcoe. I need to find a good all Columbus, or mostly Columbus beer I can side by side.
I've got a 75/25 Columbus/Citra IPA I'd be happy to send for some Conan
__________________
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #640
Coopertown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail View Post
Went to the Alchemist again today. Outta beer until Monday but got a teaser sample. Took a picture of what looked like some sort of yeast harvesting container. The fermenting conicals were all hooked up to the big collection container. The fermentor closest to me was set at 72 deg.
I was there this afternoon and saw the same exact thing--except the fermenter was set at 61 deg. The blowoff tube from the fermenter, leading to the collection container, was definitely active, bubbling away as I watched. What I don't know is if this is the same batch you saw on Saturday or if this is a newer batch...
__________________
Coopertown is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heady topper Caucasian Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 12 07-16-2013 07:03 PM
Heady topper jjw5015 General Beer Discussion 1 02-03-2013 01:27 PM
iso heady topper christopherrburns Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 1 01-28-2013 01:14 PM
You: Heady Topper, Me: $4$ whatever ya want TapeDeck Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 1 10-25-2012 01:07 AM
Looking for Heady Topper kaz4121 Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping 0 03-24-2012 02:46 AM