Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #631
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Hope so. I'm tempted to really up the Columbus on this try. Drinking it now and just getting a lot of hop that isn't Simcoe. I need to find a good all Columbus, or mostly Columbus beer I can side by side.

-Retired Homebrewer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #632
geneticbiscuit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Has anyone tried dry hopping some bland beer (see http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hop-testing-bud-light-399495/) and then doing some blending trials to nail down the late/dry hop additions? I imagine you could get pretty close this way in a week or so then make minor adjustments from there to really nail it down.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #633
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentNEthinG View Post
68 may be stretching it I think. I am still getting feverish yeast activity and I am fermenting at 57 degrees currently in a secondary. Seems like Conan wants to pull it down a few more gravity points. I thought I would cold crash after a few more days and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Ended up changing the recipe slightly as I brewed w/ a buddy who contributed. Ended up at:

11 lbs 2-row
4 lbs vienna
1 lb carafoam
13.5 Pilloncillo sugar

High krausen at 24 hours w/ considerable activity at 64F. Blow off smells phenomenal, like apricots and baked bread. Yum.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #634
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Conan growing project has started on the stir-plate. Wish me luck!

Hope to be brewing Easter Monday - a 3-Batch marathon! The first of those beers will be a Conan/Columbus/Pearl SMaSH.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #635
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
Hope so. I'm tempted to really up the Columbus on this try. Drinking it now and just getting a lot of hop that isn't Simcoe. I need to find a good all Columbus, or mostly Columbus beer I can side by side.
I can't remember, at what point and why did we narrow it down to just those four hops? At the beginning, I recall people saying that there was a six-hop blend or something, but some of that might be extract, et cetera. Do we know for sure there isn't maybe one other hop in there?

My friend brewed a rather nice Columbus single hop IPA a few months ago. It was shockingly fruity, reasonably dank, and not very earthy. Not really the usual citrus fruitiness, just a general, soft fruitiness. Took me totally by surprise. So what about something like Apollo in Heady Topper, in small doses? Apollo seems to have an even more intense "dankness" than CTZ.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #636
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
I can't remember, at what point and why did we narrow it down to just those four hops? At the beginning, I recall people saying that there was a six-hop blend or something, but some of that might be extract, et cetera. Do we know for sure there isn't maybe one other hop in there?

My friend brewed a rather nice Columbus single hop IPA a few months ago. It was shockingly fruity, reasonably dank, and not very earthy. Not really the usual citrus fruitiness, just a general, soft fruitiness. Took me totally by surprise. So what about something like Apollo in Heady Topper, in small doses? Apollo seems to have an even more intense "dankness" than CTZ.
Could be, I'm down to four after having about 6 or 7 in there a few times. Just never tasted quite right, no sense in keeping them in there. I really don't even know about the Centennial. John said Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, and so I'm using them at least. There could definitely be a wild card in there, but it's got to be American according to John, all American hops.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #637
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
John said Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, and so I'm using them at least. There could definitely be a wild card in there, but it's got to be American according to John, all American hops.
I made sure to include those in mine, and added a few I know aren't in it just to see how it turns out. Ended up w/ simcoe, amarillo, columbus, mosaic (too recent to be in HT), falconer's flight (again, recent hop), athanum and a little bit of citra. Should be delicious regardless. Did 0.5 oz of each at 10min and the remaining 0.5 oz on a 180F 30 min hopstand. Conan is rocking as we speak at 64/65F. Can't wait to get this on tap and see how it stacks up.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #638
othellomcbane
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Could be, I'm down to four after having about 6 or 7 in there a few times. Just never tasted quite right, no sense in keeping them in there. I really don't even know about the Centennial. John said Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, and so I'm using them at least. There could definitely be a wild card in there, but it's got to be American according to John, all American hops.
Gotcha, thanks. I really need to get my hands on some Heady again, it's been too long and my memory of the flavor profile is pretty faded at this point. Doesn't help that it's tasted somewhat different each time I've had it, either. Planning to do my next Vermont trip sometime in May, and I'll probably try a clone attempt in early summer.

In the meantime, brewing a Simcoe-single hop IPA with Conan this weekend.

Brettanomyces & Wild Yeast T-Shirts
How Many Hop Varieties Are in the Best IPAs? - A Statistical Analysis
Bear Flavored's Ultimate Guide to Hop Varieties
Culturing Conan, the Heady Topper Yeast
theveganbrewer Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #639
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer
I've got a 75/25 Columbus/Citra IPA I'd be happy to send for some Conan

Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #640
Coopertown
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail View Post
Went to the Alchemist again today. Outta beer until Monday but got a teaser sample. Took a picture of what looked like some sort of yeast harvesting container. The fermenting conicals were all hooked up to the big collection container. The fermentor closest to me was set at 72 deg.
I was there this afternoon and saw the same exact thing--except the fermenter was set at 61 deg. The blowoff tube from the fermenter, leading to the collection container, was definitely active, bubbling away as I watched. What I don't know is if this is the same batch you saw on Saturday or if this is a newer batch...

Quick Reply