The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandersen View Post
Just posting to sub to the new thread!
same here

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #22
mewithstewpid
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissyFingers
Hi all!

Im from New Zealand and last night was talking to the head brewer at a Brew Pub here in Hamilton and he used to work with a guy over in a brewery in the U.S that knows the guys from alchemistbeer. He was saying that they deal direct with NZ hops and he reckons they use an extract blend of all NZ hops
(obviously a secret blend) for all the boil additions and then dry hopped with pellets. He wasn't sure the origin of the pellet hops. Just going of what i was told... not sure if that's any help to you at all!
Woah dropping a bombshell with the possible NZ hops

Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #23
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I'm just going to post this as it references the enzymes talked about on page 2 and the NZ hops, possibly. Maybe some folks can decipher some tidbits of info from the post. This is a blog post by John Kimmich, the brewer.

Quote:
The Heady Topper has kicked and I don’t know if it will be back before it is out in cans. Its next appearance might coincide with its debut. I played around with the malt bill a lot over the last three batches. For the most part, the drinkers knew nothing of these changes, but it was very interesting. I started these experiments because of the 2010/2011 barley crop coming out of England .

Last summers weather created problems with these barleys, mostly with haze forming properties. You may have noticed the increased haze in most of my beers. This problem becomes magnified when you brew a strong and highly hopped beer. There were three test batches. One of the batches was made with Maris Otter malt. I liked it well enough, but it lacked the crispness of the Pearl malt I usually use. The next batch was made with Great Western Pale Malt. This one I hated. It had hints of the “sweet” malt flavor that I find so prominent in a lot of interpretations of this style. The third batch was brewed with my usual base malt, Pearl , but I added an enzyme to the mash which breaks up beta-glucan. This beer had the best flavor, but the enzyme had no effect on the level of haze in the finished beer.

All of this playing around answered a very big question for me in this whole canning thing. What am I going to do about the level of haze in the Heady Topper when I put it in cans? Nothing. I will not change the flavor of one of my favorite beers just to conform to some idea that a beer should be clear. You put two IPA’s down in front of me, one is hazy, and one is crystal clear. I would instinctually go for the hazy beer. I have personally witnessed GREAT beers go to hell as soon as they started to filter their beer. It changes it so much, that I would rather people get some chunky sediment in their beer, than force them to drink a lifeless shadow of what it once was; a great beer.. The beer will be hazier than I would like until we get this summers crop, in late fall. So be it. I just fell in love with the British malt under all those American hops a long time ago.

-Retired Homebrewer

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #24
eandersen
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts

Granted its been a while since I've had a heady but it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if there was galaxy in there. Had a hill farmstead double galaxy from a generous bud recently and the absolute juiciness of that beer really reminded me of that one aspect of heady. That being said no idea what the double galaxy was fermented with, could totally have been Conan for all I know

Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #25
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2957 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2497

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissyFingers View Post
Hi all!

Im from New Zealand and last night was talking to the head brewer at a Brew Pub here in Hamilton and he used to work with a guy over in a brewery in the U.S that knows the guys from alchemistbeer. He was saying that they deal direct with NZ hops and he reckons they use an extract blend of all NZ hops
(obviously a secret blend) for all the boil additions and then dry hopped with pellets. He wasn't sure the origin of the pellet hops. Just going of what i was told... not sure if that's any help to you at all!
Nelson Sauvin?

I think the can says American hops. The plot thickens.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #26
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

So, not to get away from the technical aspect of this recipe... all good stuff going on here on this thread. But I was lucky enough to score something today that'll definitely help with this recipe (and many others)

hpim2041.jpg

I know at least one of you is also using this, Danger, I think hitting the beer with a hopback on the cold side is pretty key to the whole thing.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #27
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I just read that a Heady Clone will be making it into the March/April 2013 issue of BYO. Well, it says a recipe inspired by Heady.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...arch-2013.html

-Retired Homebrewer

NordeastBrewer77 Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Only 6 days until I get my own couple of cases of Heady, then I can start drinking and harvesting and drinking and drinking and harvesting!

Can't wait!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Here is a recipe I'm brewing in a week or two. Inspired more by Heady than a direct clone attempt, but it will help me zero in on a few things/give me a tasty DIPA. I'll report back if it contributes here:

5.5 gallons

10.5 Lbs. Pale Ale Malt
1.5 Lbs. Munich Malt
1.5 Lbs. Wheat Malt
.5 Lbs. Carapils
.75 Lbs. Dextrose

1.75 oz Columbus 14% FWH

3 .00 oz Amarillo Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Cascade Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Centennial Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Columbus Aroma Steep @ 170F
3 .00 oz Simcoe Aroma Steep @ 170F

2.00 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Cascade Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Centennial Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Columbus Dry Hop 5 Days
2.00 oz Simcoe Dry Hop 5 Days

Conan Yeast @ 64F

OG 1.074
IBU 78.7
SRM 6.4
Alc % 8.0

FG: 1.011

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #30
libeerty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Nelson Sauvin?

I think the can says American hops. The plot thickens.
I have some Sauvin hops.. maybe I will add them to the recipe above. I'm not sure if I've tasted Sauvin in it, but could easily be hidden by the 5 other hops. I'm VT bound in a few weeks, so I will see.. tough to base it on my memories...

Also, not sure if anyone in this thread is from MA, but.. Although HT isn't officially distributed in MA yet, the Eastern Standard restaurant always has it off-menu. They send a barback up to buy some every few weeks.

Tried to keep up with this signature, but just couldn't.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 

Quick Reply