Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #1231
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

So my Conan was stuck at 1.018 for about 5 days @ 68f, so I raised it to 72f and took a gravity reading after two days @ 72f and its now 1.014. Not sure what that means but I got my Conan from end of May / early June cans.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #1232
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Someone told me today that there have been some cases of ECY29 stalling at 1.018-1.020 too. Interesting. Maybe Kimmich has a remote control kill switch that he presses when someone harvests his yeast.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #1233
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Having trouble finding caramalt and Pearl anywhere without having to place multiple orders. Looks like brew brothers has it AND has hop jizz, but no Apollo and Centennial hops. Plus, shipping to me for a $40 order is about $25!!! That seems a little out of whack! Has anyone been able to find a good place to purchase this stuff online without crazy shipping costs?
from FB:

Farmhouse Brewing Supply
Pearl and Caramalt from Fawcett are now in stock for all you Heady Toppy fans!
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/pearl-fawcett/

they have apollo and centennial, too.

Drinking: a hop-bursted IPA w/ Conan, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #1234
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Meh.
I built up Conan from a single can over about a week and brewed a high7s%abv ipa which experienced much higher apparent attenuation than its traditional strain has provided. Then I took a bunch o' the cake and brewed a heady clone. It is in the middle of dry hopping and was last measured at 1.012.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #1235
droder1
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Reviewing the new Beeradvocate this month theres an interview with kimmich at the end about heady and the new expansion.
They asked if theres anything else planned and he said that hes going to be taking his 12 favorite recipes (4-5 being ipas, OF COURSE) and brew 1 a month to be sold at the cannery in swing tops!
Another thing he mentioned later in the interview was that hes still not 100% satisfied with heady and that its changing every batch, "its the fun part" he says changing hop strains, when there added in the kettle and the amount added change everytime, he also goes on to say that within a years time heady is going to be a completely different beer.

REALLY!? How could the #1 DIPA in the WORLD change that dramatically?? but a moot point here after reading this its now come to my mind that Heady Topper is 100% Not cloneable, Im about to brew 4,0 next weekend im sure its DAMN close to when I had heady at the beginning of the year (more trub in cans, fruitier, tons of peach) but as of now heady changes every batch. Now while most of us knew that this was going on it really sets it in that well never have a 100% clone for at least another year when he dials the recipe in to his liking.
I'm not sure if you read the same interview as I did... It doesn't say its going to be a completely different beer...

"I'm still not satisfied 100 percent with Heady. In another year, it's going to be even better".

Question: "Can you tell me what will change?"
Answer: "No. Basically at this point, when you're making one beer like that, the only thing that's going to improve it is ingredients. So it's my goal to be obtaining the very finest hops that I possibly can, and the barley. I'm constantly messing around with dry hopping, what strains I use throughout the batch, what order I use them in, what quantities I use them in, and so it's fun."

Reads to me more like tweaking a good thing that drastically changing it.

He also says eight or nine of the 12 favorites are IPAs.

And for ****s and giggles, the thing that would surprise people about ole John Kimmich, he says "I love love love drinking stuff like Iron City and Pabst, Corona, anything cheap and light like that".

Old 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1236
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
from FB:

Farmhouse Brewing Supply

Thanks! Shame they don't have the "hop jizz" but this will help.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #1237
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGrylls View Post

Thanks! Shame they don't have the "hop jizz" but this will help.
What about subbing in a high alpha hop to make up for it? Is that worth it?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #1238
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Don't quote me on this, but hopshot is slightly less aggressive bitterness. If you do a regular hop addition, look into some as a FWH which does something to the polyphenols and makes the bitterness slightly less harsh. Maybe not all FWH, but some perhaps?

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #1239
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
from FB:

Farmhouse Brewing Supply

Thanks, still dont have amarillo but my LHBS had some last time I was there. Thier shipping is reasonable at $12, but the way they price thier hops is crazy. For 3 ounces of their hops, it is the same price they sell a pound for! I am not certain I will use up a pound of simcoe or a pound of columbus!! Though I guess it wont be bad to have them around, just need to find a recipe to use them in!

Is it useful to try to use the columbus or Simcoe to make up the 118 IBUs of hop shots since i will have so much? Or will I get a different flavor that I wasnt expecting? I always thought that after a 60 minute boil addition, there really is no flavor or aroma left, only the bitterness?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1240
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oh, and Vegan, when will the next vials of Conan be available? I keep checking the site but it always show out of stock.

Quick Reply