The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #1131
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It's it a bucket so it doesn't bubble too much after a couple days because the lid isn't a perfect seal. There was still a thin layer of foam on top but the clarity of the beer was what got me. I'll let it sit for another two days and see if anything has changed.
Mine is in a bucket too. Very slowly, but still bubbling after 7 days.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #1132
sybesbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
I've brewed 6 different styles with this now and I'm starting to notice a lot of similarities in the taste profile. It's certainly unique and identifiable.
What six styles? Obviously IPA is the style of choice. What other styles are good. Anything you tried that you would not recommend?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #1133
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybesbrew View Post
What six styles? Obviously IPA is the style of choice. What other styles are good. Anything you tried that you would not recommend?
1. Heady Topper Clone
2. Cascadian Dark Ale (Murky Depths)
3. IPA
4. Red IPA (pearl, munich, vienna, C120, roasted barley)
5. Imperial ESB
6. Scotch Ale, I think it's called a wee heavy??

So that was my progression with it. I'll sort of explain why I chose these styles, as I progressed to each after learning what Conan did to each recipe. After brewing like 15 versions of Heady Topper then switching to my CDA, award-winning I might add , I noticed an underlying flavor contribution that I didn't expect in the CDA with all the different malts I used. It was some nice fruity esters, surprisingly well-blended perhaps sweet malt, and a nice creamy texture.

I went with a regular IPA, did a whole new range of hops, and got the same yeast character so I decided to brew up a Red IPA, which was really an imperial irish red. The yeast really worked well with the Munich and Vienna and it was surprisingly good with the roasted barley.

Then I had an Imperial ESB at a bar one night and I instantly thought, this could be a great conan beer. That beer turned out fantastic. I would consider this a very appropriate yeast for the style.

Then finally I brewed a Scotch Ale, a 1.086 or 89 (can't remember, I was off from original recipe) which I thought would go well with the fruity esters, hop profile, good attenuation, and creaminess. Again, great beer style for Conan. I think I've only had 2 commercial versions of this style, but the one I made was very good, very popular.

I think what you want to look for with Conan is a beer that allows some fruity esters, not necessarily a hoppy beer, Conan can accentuate hop aroma, but it also accentuates malt sweetness at times because of the creaminess, and something that you don't want finishing too high. I got that Scotch ale down to 1.015 from 1.086-89.

Looking back at my comments I'd be tempted to say Conan is of English origin, despite my earlier belief it was Belgian. It's odd because the beers are very dry that it produces but at the same time, the mouthfeel and how it plays with the malt sweetness give off a bit of a malty sweetness in each beer.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #1134
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Vegan- have you posted your recipe for cda or scotch ale? Do you mind sharing if not posted previously?

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #1135
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547 View Post
Vegan- have you posted your recipe for cda or scotch ale? Do you mind sharing if not posted previously?
http://signpostbrewing.com/murky-dep...tition-recipe/

That's the CDA, I'll have a post on the scotch ale once I get some free time. It was basically Pearl, Torrified Wheat, Biscuit, C60, and Roasted Barley with EKG and Saaz.

The Imperial Irish red was similar grain bill as that, but hops were way different. El Dorado, Columbus, Cascade, Vanguard, Willamette, Amarillo, Chinook, Citra, and Riwaka. It's so good.

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #1136
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks Vegan will be ordering supplies tonight

Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1137
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

That dark ale looks great Vegan, thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try that midnight wheat and now I have a good excuse.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #1138
J-Pizzel
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Giving it a go!

image-653430061.jpg  

Old 06-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #1139
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have to say that vegan is the man. Brewed up v4.0 yesterday morning and hit 1.074 with a seemingly prefect brew session. Bubbling away nicely already at 62-63F ambient. Can't wait to get this thing on tap, thanks vegan!

Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1140
jglazer
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 70

When stepping up the Conan starter yesterday I went to add a drop of fermcap and it was stuck so with slightly more pressure I of course squeezed out a stream of fermcap which is probably equivalent to at least 10-15 drops in my 1.5l stater...anyone know how this could effect the yeast? I don't care about the actual chemical being in there as long as it wont hurt my baby yeasties

Also, can anyone give me specifics on how much yeast I should be pitching? I know vegan's blog said he aimed for 200-250 which may be slightly under-pitching depending on your stance, but should I be trying to pitch under/over/target with Conan? Any guidance / experience with this would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply