Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #51
HeavyKettleBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I am going experiment the Summit/Mosaic combo. Summit has a stong Garlic aroma and I have been told that late additions give it a more pronounced scent. I may use Summit at 30min to try and get the tangerine flavors out of it. Going off of what others claim about Mosaic being more earthy/piney than fruity. I have used Summit with Citra and produced some great results. Really excited, wishing I expedited shipping!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #52
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 617 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddad View Post
Summit can have a stong Garlic aroma
not all summit hops have a garlic aroma, it's not part of their intrinsic makeup. that smell is usually associated with hops that were picked too late. either summits are very sensitive to harvesting times, or growers have gotten better at picking them on time. the summits i've used didn't have an ounce of garlic to them, and they contributed an intense citrus flavor with just a touch of spice. just a heads-up in case you get a properly-harvest summit and are disappointed at the lack of garlic (although you might be the first, since it's much more typical to hear of someone who was hoping for citrus and was disappointed by the garlic)

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.
snzcujo Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #53
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Simple Mosaic IPA recipe

Trying to come up with a recipe to try these mosaic hops I have inbound. Having never used these hops, not real sure what to expect.

11lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
0.5lbs carapils
0.75oz 60min
1oz 20min
2oz 5min
1oz flameout
1oz dryhop

Looking to go all Mosaic, or have all of the "C" hops and could mix it up in the early additions? Really want to finish with Mosaic though to see what it's all about.

Thoughts/pointers?

Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #54
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Trying to come up with a recipe to try these mosaic hops I have inbound. Having never used these hops, not real sure what to expect.

11lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
0.75oz 60min
1oz 20min
2oz 5min
1oz flameout
1oz dryhop

Looking to go all Mosaic, or have all of the "C" hops and could mix it up in the early additions? Really want to finish with Mosaic though to see what it's all about.

Thoughts/pointers?
My all Mosaic IPA just finished up. I stole the grain bill from Kern River Citra DIPA. Mosaic worked extremely will with that grist. The aromatics on Mosaic are right up there with Citra and Simcoe. This hop is gonna get very popular I think. I plan on brewing the same recipe ASAP as I know this batch is gonna be gone way too quick.

I think your recipe looks pretty good - but I would try and replace the Mosaic at 60 with something else. Move it to dry hop if you can.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #55
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post

I think your recipe looks pretty good - but I would try and replace the Mosaic at 60 with something else. Move it to dry hop if you can.
Centennial at 60?

Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #56
jammin

Recipes 

Quote:
Centennial at 60?
Mosiac would certainly work - I just think you will really like the flavor with some additional dry hop on it.

I hate to even see Centennial burned at 60 haha. Of course that would be fine. I always keep a supply of Magnum around for bittering - it helps save the tastier hops for late additions and dry hopping.

You're gonna love the Mosaic, sir. I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts when it finishes.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #57
Silverbullet
Recipes 

Lol I hear you on saving the tastier hops. Just looked and I have a bunch of chinook, cascade, columbus for bittering and could save the centennial....

Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #58
BAJones
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

11lbs 2-row
1lb caramel
0.5lbs carapils
0.75oz 60min
1oz 20min
2oz 5min
1oz flameout
1oz dryhop

Thoughts/pointers?
A pound of caramel/crystal is about 8% of the grist which is a lot, you may want to back that down to under 5%. Centennial is a good 60 minute addition, but if you have magnum or warrior or columbus, any will work well.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #59
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 617 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJones View Post
A pound of caramel/crystal is about 8% of the grist which is a lot, you may want to back that down to under 5%. Centennial is a good 60 minute addition, but if you have magnum or warrior or columbus, any will work well.
interesting. to me, 8% is about right and i wouldn't go higher than 10%... different strokes

+1 on the bittering options proposed. save the centennial & mosaic for late additions.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #60
jammin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
interesting. to me, 8% is about right and i wouldn't go higher than 10%... different strokes
especially when there is no other specialty malt in play.

I believe Northern Brewer's "Dead Ringer" kit uses a pound of C40 and it's not cloying at all. Quite delicious actually.

But yes, different strokes for sure!

Quick Reply