Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > hazelnut porter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Javier25
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default hazelnut porter?

I have a pound of roasted hazelnuts soaking in the secondary. I don't think this is enough to get as much of the flavor that I want. Any suggestions? Is there such thing as a hazelnut extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
pentiumone133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This sounds delicious. Rogue hazelnut brown is one of my favorite beers, and nut browns in general are I think my favorite style. Never thought of a nut porter though, I may have to experiment with that as well!

Hazelnut extract does exist, here's a pic of a bottle I have of brewcraft hazelnut extract. Bottle says use up to 2oz for 5 gallons. This bottle came with a brewcraft extract kit for rogue hazelnut brown that I received for Christmas but havnt brewed yet. I tasted it just now and it tastes exactly like the hazelnut flavor of the rogue beer. Good thing I pulled it out to take a pic of it for you, the label says to keep it refrigerated. Oops.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Javier25
Recipes 

I wonder if there is something I can pick up from a store. It's been in secondary for a wk, and I have to bottle it in 3 wks. Thank you for taking the time to send that pic. by the way.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
fumanbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Some gourmet grocery stores have hazelnut flavoring in the coffee isle. It might work but I think it has sugar in it

Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Javier25
Recipes 

I work at a coffee shop, and the hazelnut syrup that we use is loaded with sugar. Definately something I want to avoid. Was thinking of just adding more hazelnuts, but the peeling process was a pain, and I don't want to do that again lol! I called several stores around me, and nobody has any. Thinking of just tossing in some vanilla bean instead. Or maybe just leaving it alone. Nothing wrong with a smooth porter, right?!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Could you use the syrup to prime with? That might give you a little more flavor, so long as you can determine how much sugar is in it to prime appropriately.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Javier25
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87 View Post
Could you use the syrup to prime with? That might give you a little more flavor, so long as you can determine how much sugar is in it to prime appropriately.
Ooooh! Thats a great idea. I may have to check into that. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 102

A brewery here did a Chocolate Hazlenut Porter-ish beer. The brewer used a hazlenut butter (in the boil). They froze it, let it thaw and skimmed off the oil. Did that 3-4 times I believe before use. It work really well, the hazlenut flavor was present, but not over powering. He said he had used an extract in the test batch, but thought it gave a generic flavor to it.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sprockets Sticke Alt
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
Mellow Gold Blond Ale
Gerta Hefeweizen
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
I, ME, MINE English IPA
Nelson Brett Saison

Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Entrepreneur640
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can get Hazelnut Extract at most grocery stores. I have an English Brown Ale in my primary right now. When I move it to the secondary I will add some hazelnut extract. I picked mine up for around $3 at the grocery store. It tastes awesome and there isn't a ton of sugar like in syrups. I think the brand I got was Tones. Just go to the spice aisle. It will take a while to find, in my grocery store there was only one hazelnut extract, lost in a sea of hundreds of extracts and spices. Let us know how yours turns out.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Javier25
Recipes 

Thank you guys for all the advice. I've gone to 5 different stores and none if them carry it. Hopefully I can get it soon. How much extract did you add to the secondary? I transferwd a wk. ago.

Quick Reply