Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Have you used citra hops as bittering hops? I have...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
MattHollingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Haven't used it for bittering, but have used it for aroma/flavor, more towards the aroma end of things. Haven't done a SMaSH, so couldn't pick out Citra specifically, but it blends well with Simcoe, Chinook, Amarillo and Centennial, as far as my experience goes.

Used it in 2 APAs, like so, with great results:

Beer 1:

Simcoe for bittering (FWH, though)
Centennial @30, 20 grams.
Citra @10, 27 grams.
Simcoe @0, 27 grams.

Beer 2:

Nelson Sauvin for bittering (also FWH)

Amarillo @10, 12 grams.
Citra @10, 10 grams.
Chinook @10, 8 grams.

Same again at 0 minutes, with those three hops.

Then dry hopped with those 3, 8 grams each for 19 days (I was in the middle of moving, usually dry hop for 7 days, but this worked out very tasty, not vegetal at all, but then the beer was around 50 F the whole time).

Both beers have a nice, strong, American hop character. Can't pick out Citra, like I said, but there's no weird flavor or anything off. Mixed very well with all of those hops.

Anyway, that's my limited experience thus far. Best of luck with your next Citra use.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
hatfieldenator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I used Citra for the first time on my latest batch of Pale Ale and its an excellent aroma and flavoring hop! Its a much more complex piney/citrusy aroma than cascade. I wasn't sure about it at first, but now that I've sampled a few of these I am really liking it alot! I used 3/4 oz. at 15 mins and then dry hopped with 1 oz. Turned out VERY nice.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
kkramer56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by planker101 View Post
About 4 months ago I used tried citra for the first time. I thought my beer got infected. Had a distinctive off taste. Right now I am drinking my second citra beer and it has the exact same off taste. Either I have potent yeast/bacteria in my fermenting room or citra is to blame.

I used it as a bittering hop both times. Has anyone else had problems using citra as a bittering hop?
I don't know why exactly but I also used Citra as a bittering hop and have an off flavor I just can't describe exactly. I too thought it was an infection but now I am pretty sure it's the hops. I was thinking of trying to save it by dry hopping? What do you think?

Before that one, I made a Citra IPA and used it as a flavor and dry hop. It turned out very nice.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
DrinkNoH2O
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lately I've tasted several commercial examples of pale ales and IPAs that use Citra for bittering - they tend to have a very unique, slightly off-putting flavor and an aroma similar to cat piss.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I made a citra ipa about month or so ago. I believe I used 4 oz of citra hops which includes 1 oz for dry hopping. I didn't use it for bittering because I felt it was defeating the purpose of that particular hop. Most people want the flavor and aroma of citra. Using citra at 60 minutes boils off all the aroma and flavor of the hop. I used citra for my ipa at 20 min, 15 min, flameout, and dry hop. I used warrior as my bittering for a clean bitter flavor. I never got an off flavor and I have to say this ipa turned out great and is easily my favorite.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the weird flavor is coming as a punishment from the beer gods for wasting citra on a buttering addition. Just think how infected your beer would taste if you bittered with a mic of citra, simcoe, and amarillo

Haven't used citra earlier than 30 min myself, but it was a Brett ipa so who knows what flavor to assign where. But zombie dust is all citra and not funky tasting.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Why not both?

I use citra as a bittering but since I hop burst...my first addition as at the 20 mark. Along with a massive flameout and dryhop, this was easily my strongest IPA in terms of flavor and aroma. It was like getting hit in the face with an orange/mango. One of my favorite batches to date. No off flavors or smells.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
kkramer56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am sure I didn't intend to use it as a bittering. I was surprised when I looked at my brew sheet and saw it there. I had made an IPA with Citra as finishing and dry hop and it's awesome.

I tried to save this keg that has the Citra as a bittering hop by dry hopping it with more Citra. I am going to try it today but I am not to optimistic. I am probably going to have to dump it.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Give it some time. I did an all citra IPA that had a very distinct onion flavor at first. This faded over time and it ended up being very good.

Is the off flavor you're tasting an onion flavor by chance?

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
kkramer56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
Give it some time. I did an all citra IPA that had a very distinct onion flavor at first. This faded over time and it ended up being very good.

Is the off flavor you're tasting an onion flavor by chance?
I really can't describe the flavor but I am pretty sure it was from the hops. Without that taste the beer would have been very good it's just you get that strange taste. I tried it yesterday, after 6 days of dry hopping. It was worse. I dumped it.

That keg now has an Oatmeal Wheat Milk Stout in it and is conditioning.

Quick Reply