Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Has anyone used Wyeast 3763 Roeselare?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Has anyone used Wyeast 3763 Roeselare?

I just got this from the HBS, I've got two lambics it will be going into. I also froze a couple batches in glycerine for later.

Check out these quotes from Wyeast:
"Aging for up to 18 months is required for full flavor profile and acidity to develop."
"Subsequent elevated temperature (80-85º F) will increase the rate of acid production by the lactic bacteria." - Good thing its getting warm out.

I'm looking forward to bumping this thread back up in a year and a half and letting you guys now how it turned out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Bump.

Well, according to the above post's date, my first 'Lambics' AKA Flanders Red( I've come so far, a year ago anything sour was a Lambic to me ) will be a year old in ~10 days, so its time to bottle. I've got the two different batches, so I may blend them or bottle seperately, we'll see. Anyway, found this old thread and thought I'd update at the year mark, not 18 months yet(many bottles will make it to that point though). I haven't tasted them in many months, they may taste like satan's anus and have to be dumped, but I hope not.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Bucket or carboy?

I'm getting ready to do my Flanders Red sometime soon once I get my Brett L. Dubbel out of secondary.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I picked mine up this weekend while I was in Austin at AHB.. It wont be brewed for a month or so, im about to move, so I don't want to have to move full carboys. Im probably going to do a sour red and brown with it.

Any Idea what all is in this? I have searched and all I could find was, a few strains of brett, most likely cali ale, and maybe Lacto.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'm glad you bumped this back up. I'm eager to hear how things turned out. I've got a pack of 3763 on the way and am planning a Flanders Red. I'll probably go with Jamil's recipe but I'm not sure whether to start with the Roeselare blend or partially ferment with something neutral and add the bug blend when I hit 60-70% attenuation. According to "Brewing Classic Styles" that should produce a slightly less sour beer.

I was inspired by Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja Flanders Red at the World Beer Festival this past weekend. I fell in love with the stuff.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

-They are in glass carboys. Although, I am very tempted to try one in a bucket - seems like some people are having luck with this method. I need to 'take on for the team' and buy another bucket and throw a Flanders in there for science sake.
-The blend is 1056(or the like), Brett(s)(not sure which), Lacto and/or Pedio, and a Flor Sherry yeast. Something like that.
- Chad, both these are made by adding Roeselare to secondary. Based on my limited experience with other sour beers, one way to increase the sourness is to leave it in primary for a few months. Also higher temps help as well. And if you like La Roja hit yours with some bourbon soaked oak cubes, when I had the La Roja Reserve(unblended) at the brewery it was WAYYYY to bourbony, but after a few months turned out nice -reminded me of good homebrew.

Last edited by landhoney; 04-29-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update landhoney... looking forward to brewing (I should say starting to brew) a flanders red or brown sometime in the near future. I've only recently been turned onto the style and I'm really enjoying it...

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

im thinking im gonna be doing my Red in a Bucket and my Brown with a wood stopper in a glass carboy. Raj B Apte makes me belive that plastic buckets are just fine for Flanders and lambics.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Amazing that this did not get a single response last year and the topic on the greenboard is at 30 pages
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?s...5&hl=Roeselare

I just got all 3 of the VSS yeasts and will plan a few brews for the near future.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim
Amazing that this did not get a single response last year and the topic on the greenboard is at 30 pages
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?s...5&hl=Roeselare
I need to be more charasmatic or something I guess.

Quick Reply