Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #61
ptownbmac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Incidently, I also live in RIC and have had the original multiple times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #62
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm currently doing a side-by-side. Color is close, original had lower head, but better retention. The original has more prune/raisin flavor, less ginger. Could be caused by age (6 mos) old. Also noticing a bit more cocoa and a smoother, fuller mouthfeel. Ginger is smooth and subtle, cinnamon is very noticeable, and vanilla is just behind.

Mine has a much larger ginger presence, but I'm also getting a hint of plastic (chiller hose leaked a bit into the beer). Vanilla and cinnamon are missing.

Both are good beers, but the spicing makes them very different. Next time more vanilla and cinnamon, less ginger, or baby ginger if I can source it (not in Richmond anymore). Also may up the C-120 or use Special B, but will try changing the spices first. As it is I would call mine a ginger stout, not a gingerbread stout. Will brew again!

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #63
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Eulipion,

Will be pulling together another batch in the next few weeks to prepare for Christmas. If I find the baby ginger here in Richmond, want me to ship you some? Be more than happy to. Looking forward to my second go round on this one.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #64
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopersGoose View Post
Eulipion,

Will be pulling together another batch in the next few weeks to prepare for Christmas. If I find the baby ginger here in Richmond, want me to ship you some? Be more than happy to. Looking forward to my second go round on this one.
Thanks for the offer, Coop, but I still have a case left from my last batch. Just couldn't bring myself to drink much of this over the summer. I should be able to find some baby ginger in the new location when I give this another go.

Are you planning to adjust the recipe? I think the base recipe is fairly close, maybe a little more Extra Dark Crystal. To my tastes the spices made the most difference.

Sidenote: I entered this into the Dominion Cup this year. Got a pretty good score, 32 or 34 (can't remember). I'm pretty happy with it.

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #65
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Yes. I'm going to get a batch going for the winter months. I definitely will adjust the recipe I did. Probably review yours, check my proposed adjustments in BeerSmith and give it a go soon. Hopefully it will be ready, Dec/Jan timeframe.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #66
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Okay, just tasted again. I was wrong about the base. I think I'd lower the roast a bit, maybe use some Carafa III. The roast in mine was a bit too strong. Also, less ginger, more cinnamon & vanilla.

Let us know your changes. I think we can get a definitive clone out of it if we keep trying.

On-Deck:

Old 10-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #67
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Need advice on spices for my GBS clone

Brewed up 10 gallons last weekend, had a nice primary ferment this week, and am ready to rack to secondary and add spices. Couple of questions:

1) How much ginger? 2 tsp per 5 gal? ground or chopped?
2) One vanilla bean per 5 gal? scrape out the bean?
3) Three whole cinnamon sticks per 5 gal?

I've seen many different levels of spicing for this kind of beer, and was also thinking about making a tincture with unflavored vodka (since I didn't add any of these spices during the boil) to reduce infection chances with adding to secondary.

Appreciate any help/thoughts.

OG was 1.088 (about three points shy of what I was expecting from beersmith recipe).

Primary: Liberal Wheat 5.14
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: Gingerbread Stout 12.13
Kegged: IPA 3.14, Gluten Free Dos-Equis Clone 1.14
Commercial Tap: Legend Brown Ale
In Bottles: Hopslam, eSCB Holiday Ale 8.13

On Deck: Bourbon Cru 6.14

Gallons in 2014: 33

Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #68
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGus View Post
Brewed up 10 gallons
1) How much ginger? 2 tsp per 5 gal? ground or chopped?
2) One vanilla bean per 5 gal? scrape out the bean?
3) Three whole cinnamon sticks per 5 gal?
I'm not sure how the spices will translate when added to secondary, but I'd recommend weighing out the ginger. I added my spices with 15 minutes left in the boil:

I used 4 oz fresh grated ginger, and it was a bit much. I'd go with, maybe, 2 oz.

I added 2 split & scraped vanilla beans and can barely taste vanilla, but not sure how it'll translate to secondary addition and less ginger.

No advice on the cinnamon, but 2 tsp ground cinnamon didn't come through much in mine. Again, use less ginger and maybe the cinnamon and vanilla will come through more.

On-Deck:

Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #69
MadGus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kegged/Bottled my GBS Clone today

Ended up getting 4oz of vodka tincture, split evenly between each of my 5 gallon carboys of beer. Bottled a couple of 12oz'ers so I can check flavor and carb levels in a few weeks, before I give most of this away over the holidays.

Thanks again for your advice guys... this was a fun beer to make.

Primary: Liberal Wheat 5.14
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: Gingerbread Stout 12.13
Kegged: IPA 3.14, Gluten Free Dos-Equis Clone 1.14
Commercial Tap: Legend Brown Ale
In Bottles: Hopslam, eSCB Holiday Ale 8.13

On Deck: Bourbon Cru 6.14

Gallons in 2014: 33

Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #70
reidjoshua
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Okay, just tasted again. I was wrong about the base. I think I'd lower the roast a bit, maybe use some Carafa III. The roast in mine was a bit too strong. Also, less ginger, more cinnamon & vanilla.

Let us know your changes. I think we can get a definitive clone out of it if we keep trying.
We're looking to brew this in the next couple weeks. Took your recipe and suggestions and came up with this. (lowered ginger/black barley, increased carafa, cinnamon, vanilla). Thoughts? Suggestions?

Recipe:
11 lb Maris Otter
1.5 lb Victory malt
1.25 lb Lactose
1.25 lb flaked oats
1.0 lb crystal 120
.75 lb Chocolate malt (UK)
1.5 oz Black Barley
1.5 oz Carafa II

3.5 oz Challenger (6.9% AA) 60 min

2 oz Ginger, fresh, peeled, and sliced - 15 min
2.5 tsp Cinnamon, ground - 15 min