Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
Ctayl9jq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Let me know how this turns out, I have a couple bottles of the gbs and the burboun gbs and it really is an awesome beer.

I brewed a Xmas stout this year that I wasn't trying to imitate the gbs, but he mouthfeel and
grain bill i used seemed close. I then just added cinnamon and vanilla. Ill see if I can find the grain bill but I know I added about a half cup lactose and used Maris otter and some type of biscuit malt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #22
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Hardywood GSB Tasting notes.

Before I begin, I must say, for my first beer in 7+ years, this turned out pretty well. Primary fermenter for 4 weeks at 70F, bottled with 1-1/4 cups DME. Bottle conditioned for 3 weeks (20 days) at 65F. Threw one in freezer for 20-30 minutes to test. First, I'd say it would be categorized better as an imperial stout vs a gingerbread milk stout. Head from pour is nice and thick, and stays around a while. It has a nice aroma with a hint of vanilla. The body is full, but not quite as big as the Hardywood GBS. From a taste standpoint, it has a nice chocolate flavor, slightly sweet, but not as sweet as the GSB. No strong gingerbread cookie flavor, but this is pretty good. While you can tell its got some alcohol in it, it's balanced, no strong alcohol flavor, but now on my second for the night, I can tell it packs a punch.

So what to do differently? Possibly use Briess malt or Belgium biscuit malt to impart more biscuity flavor. Swap out store bought honey for bearer farms honey (Tom Leonard's has it), as well as utilize casselmont farms baby ginger. Increase ginger to 6 oz. increase vanilla and cinnamon amounts as well. One other thing, not as sweet as GSB, so might increase lactose as well. I'll post my modified recipe once I run through beersmith.

Serve at 55F, as flavors definitely more pronounced as it warms. Will be interesting to see how this ages.

image-1297667340.jpg

Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. What was your FG? Based on the OG and ABV from the Hardywood website, it seems like they finish around 1.031.

Based on your observations I'm thinking change the base to Maris Otter (malty, biscuit/toast flavor), mash a few degrees higher (fuller body, a little sweetness), and up the spices all around. Some Biscuit or Special Malt might be in order.

I think a higher mash temp and increased ginger and vanilla will help give the impression of sweetness you say is missing. Additionally, I've been told they add their honey to secondary, which would help preserve the honey flavor and aroma, also giving the impression of sweetness.

On-Deck: Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Avery Hog Heaven clone

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #24
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Default Final Gravity

Final gravity was 1.024. It's good, but not close enough for my liking. Here's my next go round.

Biscuit Malt 14.5 lbs
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L - 1 lb
Chocolate Malt - .75 lbs
Black Barley - 0.125 lbs
1.5 lbs lactose
6 oz ginger root - 15 minutes
0.33 oz (3 sticks) Cinnamon - 5 minutes
1.5 lbs Honey
Challenger 3.0 oz

Mash at 156F for 90 minutes
Boil 90 minutes.

We'll see how this turns out.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Biscuit could be used as a base malt.

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #26
MadGus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Perhaps cooper meant Maris Otter? I'm planning my next brew, and am probably going to give this a shot.

Primary: Liberal Wheat 5.14
Secondary: Air
Bottle Conditioning: Gingerbread Stout 12.13
Kegged: IPA 3.14, Gluten Free Dos-Equis Clone 1.14
Commercial Tap: Legend Brown Ale
In Bottles: Hopslam, eSCB Holiday Ale 8.13

On Deck: Bourbon Cru 6.14

Gallons in 2014: 33

Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #27
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Default GSB clone recipe modification

I was under some serious meds earlier for some dental work. Tried to post before I left. I'd change the grain bill to use 10% biscuit the rest Maris otter or other suitable grain. Increasing the mash temp should result in more full bodied beer, which would help as well. The initial beer is good, but its not close enough to the GSB. It's lacking the sweetness, and gingerbread character mostly. Suppose I have to suffer a while and drink this high alcohol, very tasty stout until I have a chance to try again. I also have a blonde ale about to hit the secondary. Should tap that soon as well. Have a good weekend all. I'll repost my proposed recipe this weekend.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback, CG. Sorry it wasn't closer, but at least it's still tasty! I hope to try it. (James River Homebrewers meeting Wednesday, February 13, 6:30 @ Mekong )

For the vanilla beans, did you cut them or add them whole? Cinnamon sticks (whole or cracked?) or powder?

I'll revise this based on your input and (God willing I find a job) make this my next brew.

Primary:

Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #29
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

First off for the 1st beer in 7+ years, this beer is pretty good. It was risky shaking off the rust with such a big beer, but I'm glad I aimed high. This beer seems to get better with age. It's been almost 4 weeks in the bottle, and it seems the flavors are beginning to meld more each time I open a bottle. There's more cinnamon aroma and flavor now, with a hint of vanilla. The ginger seems to be making a small presence as well. I hope there is some left 4-6 weeks from now to see how it tastes then, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As for the questions, I used whole sticks of cinnamon and whole vanilla beans. Diced up the ginger and boiled all with wort, then strained from the pot into fermenter. I have a recipe I modified on beersmith, I'll try to post this weekend. It uses a mixture of malts, Vienna, Maris otter and biscuit, and ups the maltose a bit as well as flavor additives. Did cut back on honey, but like the idea of adding to fermenter. Only concern there is would probably want to pasteurize somehow.

Maybe I'll hit the jrha meeting feb. it I do, I bring Epuillon a few to try.

Later all.

Bottles 4 wks - Goose's Gingerbread Stout v1
Secondary - Twin Blonde's Ale
Future - Kiltless Scotch Ale

Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #30
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Sorry for the mis-spelling Eulipion, from now on just referring to you as E!

Quick Reply