Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How's this going so far, CoopersGoose? What yeast did you use?

I'm going to save my pennies and brew this one, much like my Three Philosophers clone I've been sitting on for two years. Or better yet, I'll write the recipes, let others brew and perfect them, and brew the final version!

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Default Coopers Howling Holiday GBS

I've got a nice video of the new baby, I'll try to upload. I used Wyeast 1056 that was used to create a yeast starter. Thing took off very well. Pitched yeast around 10:00 pm, next morning it was rockin, at 6:00 pm the video was taken. Hope the yeast doesn't tire out. This has got some serious sugar in it.

Going to leave this in the primary for at least 3 weeks, possibly 4. Only reason I might throw into secondary is getting another batch going. Heard mixed things on the forum regarding racking to secondary. Most say it's not necessary, others for high gravity beer prefer. We'll let you know.

FYI - I picked this recipe over another one because it was all grain and would save me some coin on grain bill. Wife paid for honey which she complained about, but if she likes it, I can chalk it up to her contribution!

Send me email and I'll throw over the .mov. bgrunden@me.com

Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just emailed. I would say to leave it in primary for four weeks at a minimum. Secondary/bulk aging might not be a bad idea, though if you're going to keg it you could age it in the keg after a four-week primary.

On-Deck:

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So, I'm looking into "Biscuit-type malts." Briess has Victory, Special Roast, and Extra Special Roast. They recommend Extra Special for dark, high-gravity beers, but I'm wondering if the flavors they mention are appropriate for this beer. They say Extra Special will contribuite "Toasted marshmallow, toast, mild coffee, prunes, dry, woody" flavors.

Thoughts? Would either Victory or Special Roast be better suited for the profile of this beer?

EDIT: Or, how about replace the 2-row with Maris Otter? Could still give me biscuity flavors without having to mess with the rest of the grain bill.

On-Deck:

Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
GeorgeH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you make this yet? If so, how did it go?

Primary: Nearly Nirvana Pale Ale
Secondary: Needs cleaning
Kegged: Graff, Web Interaction Wit, Edmund Fitz clone Porter, AHS's Pliny the Elder clone
Bottled: Holiday Ale

Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I haven't yet. CoopersGoose is about 2.5 weeks into his, so hopefully we'll see how his went soon. I have to save up my pennies for ingredients, but hopefully I'll get a little windfall from Christmas.

On-Deck:

Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

My batch will be bottled next week. I'm already considering buying ingredients to retry it, as I believe the GBS is one of the best beers created. Tom Leonards carries the exact wildflower honey, and I'm sure I can find the ginger as well. Still have some Hardywood bottles to compare it to. I'll post some feedback next week when I bottle, I'll have a chance to flavor it then.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #18
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Ok. Bottled this batch today. Final gravity was 1.024. Initial was 1.090, so we're in the ballpark 9.5% abv or so depending upon calculation used. Flavor was nice. Definitely full body stout, hints of cinnamon, vanilla come through -a little gingerbready. As for aroma, I'm a little disappointed. Could be it needs to age a bit more, but doesn't have that sweet aroma. I'd add some aroma hops next batch. Will have to research what type might be appropriate. Willamette possibly. Some type of spicy aroma hop variety is what I'm thinking. Two weeks from now, or three, I'll post some taste results.

Who's next? Let me know how ur quest is going!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I think you'll get better aroma once carbonated. The CO2 will help lift the aroma from the glass to your nose. How does the flavor compare so far? Close to the original?

On-Deck:

Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Flavor was close to the GBS. Wouldn't say it was an exact match, but definitely has the same character. Not so much gingerbread notes, but my ginger was of poor quality, it was what was available. I'll seek out the baby ginger if this beer even has the potential i think it will. Next batch will use more precise ingredients. Also, I do believe some aroma hops would be nice to refine it a bit more. Since you live in Richmond, if it passes my initial tasting, I'll save you a six pack, maybe trade for something you've got available?

B

Quick Reply