Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hard to Find Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Hard to Find Hops

I just wanted anyone who was looking for Target hops that www.mdhb.com has them in stock. (They stock Challenger too which doesn't seem as hard to find as Target)

I'm looking for a U.S. source for Northdown hops if anyone has one it would be appreciated.

Peace

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I believe a good substitute for northdown is challenger and northern brewer if you can get your hands on those. 50/50 split in the same amount that you would have used of northdown. I'll have to double check my recipes when I get home to make sure those are the right hops though.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Just so you know, I've ordered from Maryland Homebrew and they were great. They even sent hops to Croatia for me and everything arrived in great condition. They were helpful. The hops are good too.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I live about 1.5 hours (depending upon traffic) from Maryland Homebrew. I live a bit closer to Annapolis Homebrew but as is always the case no one store can have everything that you want/need. I've found both stores to be well equipped with fresh ingredients and enthusiastic employees/owners. Can't ask for much more

As for substituting Northern Brewer for Northdown, I agree entirely, the alpha is close if not dead on. I suffer from a bit of OC however and when I make an ESB I like to use all English ingredients. That said I am using Northern Brewer (a German Hop) in place because I can't find Northdown here in the U.S. But, I would love to find some...

I really don't take it that serious but try to match ingredients with styles (well I thought that until I found out Williamette is coming from England ;p) and my claims of my American Amber Ale being entirely American went down the drain...

Quick Reply