Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hard Cider Recipe Request

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hard Cider Recipe Request

I'm looking for a recipe for some hard cider. For any of you guys that have had Harpoon's Hard Cider, thats almost exactly what I'd like to try for...

Any tips would be appreciated... I haven't done any real research on hard cider thus far.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

"Cloning" cider dosen't work like beer, as there's almost no way of telling what types of apples the manufacturer or cider mill used. I've never had harpoon, but if you discribe it (sweet, dry, sparkling, flat, dark, light, etc) there are many on this board that will be able to steer you in the correct direction for something like what you want.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 09-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

The only hard cider recipe I use goes something like this:

5 gallons cider from local orchard
Pitch one tube WL English cider yeast

Probably not what you're looking for.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

I haven't tried Harpoon's cider, but I have made many batches of EdWort's Apfelwein, which is basically a pretty potent cider. Hell of lot drier than Woodchuck, Cider Jack, Strongbow, or any other commersh cider i've tasted, but I like it alot better that way anyway. Like I said, I've made several batches since first trying it (with a tweak here and there) and it hasn't let anyone down. It's worth a try.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've considered EdWorts recipe, however since I absolutely HATE apple juice, it kinda turned me off...

I love cider and hate apple juice, however I can't understand how some people hate tomatoes and love ketchup...

What I'm really looking to make is a good fall cider for the non-beer drinkers in my crowd. The SWMBO likes hard cider as well, so thats a good enough reason for me to make something...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Ok, so you're looking for a dry cider I assume then, as the sweeter ciders seem to end up tasting like apple a bit more. I'd say Make a batch of the apfelwein, as the apple taste isn't very prelivent. However, let this be said now: you will not have a good tasting cider ready by this fall if you start now. Ciders take at least 5-6 months before they taste good at all, especally if you add sugars. If you make up a batch with an ale yeast, such as us-04 or nottingham, and leave out the sugar, you MIGHT have a batch ready to drink by January, but that'd be pushing it imho.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply