Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hallertauer Perle hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
monkeychef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hallertauer Perle hops

Someone I know has some "Hallertauer Perle 45 10% Alpha hops pellets" (what the bag has printed on it) that he said I could buy off of him, maybe only enough to make maybe a batch or two of homebrew. Problem is, I really don't know much about them at all. The wiki says "It has a pleasant aroma with a minty character." and that it's commonly used in German lagers and wheat beers.

Do you guys have a better description of what it's good for and what it's like, as well as any favorite ways to use these particular hops?

I'm guessing the wheat beer might be a decent idea with warmer weather just around the bend.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

The name Hallertauer on a hop can be a bit confusing, because it is also the major hop rowing region in Germany. What we think of as Hallertauer is called Hallertauer Mittelfrüher in Germany, or even Hallertauer Hallertauer Mittelfrüher if grown in in the Hallertauer region. There's a whole page in the wiki.

What you have is Perle hops grown in Bavaria.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
Aspera
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They are a terrible smelling hop. Mail them directly to me and I'll see to it that they are disposed of properly :-)

No really, they are my bittering hop of choice for nearly all German style beers, and are acceptable for aroma in some beers. They are much finer than their American Perle counterpart in my opinion. They bitter similarly to Northern Brewer but smell more like Mittelfrue.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
monkeychef
Recipes 

Thank you so much guys. I'll keep the advice in mind for the future. I might want to get together a good German wheat by the time summer hits, and these sound like they'll come in handy after all.

Quick Reply