Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hair of the Dog - Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
vwdan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hair of the Dog - Dave

Has anyone here ever tried Dave from Hair of the Dog (Hair of the Dog Brewing Company - Beers - BeerAdvocate This beer looks nuts! I'm wondering if anyone out there would have a recpie for this behemoth. I'm sure that it was at least ice distilled to get that type of abv. Any help would be awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 88

If I understand correctly they took 300 gallons of Adam and freeze concentrated it down to 100 gallons, then barrel aged it for 15 years...

I just brewed (a variant) of the clone posted here: Homebrew Chef: HOTD Adam Beer it is supposed to be directly from the brewer. Don't worry about the peated malt, after two weeks it is pretty mellow already.

That should start you in the right direction, good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I've had it. An interesting experience, but I can't imaging drinking more than an ounce of it. Doesn't taste much like a beer, more of a weak whiskey.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well I decided to give this a shot. Last night, I took ~1/2 gallon of my Adam clone and stuck it in a big tupperware container in the freezer. Tonight I'll scrape it up (like a granita) and let it drain through a strainer lined with cheese cloth until the ice has given up most of the alcohol. Depending on how much concentration I get I'll figure out if I want to give it a second round of freezing

I am hoping to get enough for two 12 oz bottles. I’ll probably just toss a bourbon soaked oak cube in each and let them age until next winter.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The first freeze went well. I ended up with some big ice shards that a metal sieve took out well (it took about an hour of melting/drain time to get most of the color/sugar/alcohol out). This first concentration took out a bit less than half of the volume (the part removed had a gravity under 1.005). That put the alcohol (theoretically anyway) in the mid-upper teens.

So I put it back in the freezer and gave it another 24 hours, this time the concentrated alcohol/sugar prevent the beer from freezing to more of a loose slushy. I was only able to remove ~25% of the liquid. The gravity of the concentrated beer was 1.050 (double the FG), so that may mean that I “only” made it to around 20% ABV. A colder freezer (or maybe more time) would be necessary to get a better second freeze and an alcohol up near the 29% of the original.

I had enough eisAdam to fill two 12 oz bottles (each got an oak cube) plus a few ounces to sample. The flavor was noticeably darker than the base beer. The flavor wasn’t bad (but it wasn’t particularly complex), it certainly had a firm ethanol burn on the tongue even at that cold temperature. I probably will open one bottle next winter and one a year or two later.

I’ll be posting some photos of the process on my blog eventually.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not sure if anyone but me is interested in this, but here are some photos of the freezing process: The Mad Fermentationist: EisAdam (HoTD Dave Clone)

Old 06-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Beernip
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Interesting experiment Oldstock. I have not tasted Dave but do like Adam and have thought about brewing up the clone. How does the clone compare to the original?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It hasn't even been in the bottle two weeks yet (so I haven't cracked one), but it is pretty close to how a young/uncarbonated Adam would taste in my mind (light smoke, some dark malt, pretty rich, but enough hops to keep to from being too sweet etc...). If I can track down a bottle of Adam I'll do a side by side once my beer has ~6 months of age in the bottle.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
ragweed
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
It hasn't even been in the bottle two weeks yet (so I haven't cracked one), but it is pretty close to how a young/uncarbonated Adam would taste in my mind (light smoke, some dark malt, pretty rich, but enough hops to keep to from being too sweet etc...). If I can track down a bottle of Adam I'll do a side by side once my beer has ~6 months of age in the bottle.
Ahem

Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed View Post
Ahem
Haha, it is coming soon, I just need a really cold night and the right group of people.

Quick Reply