Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Gumballhead Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
beercheer4me
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out Brewing with Wheat Book it has the grain bill,hops and info on pages 138 139

Old 07-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #12
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

I actually bought that book a few months back mostly for the section on Gumballhead. That recipe (or ingredient set really) is out there to see but I was hoping for a little more discussion about it in the book. No such luck. Still a good book though.

I've made a version of this about 4-5 times now and I try to make sure I've always got one on tap. I've done it extract and all grain. In my most recent batch, I subbed in Aromatic for the Caravienne since Aromatic is listed in the Brewing with Wheat book. It's carbing now and I can't wait because it's one of the best gravity samples I've tasted. I'm just not sure I'm buying the hop list in the book though. I'm sure it's correct because I don't see why they would lie about it, but I've always made mine with straight Amarillo. I can see using Warrior to bitter instead of wasting Amarillo on that, but I just can't taste the Simcoe in the real version.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I'd love to hear how it turns out Space.

And inspired by your efforts & beercheer's excellent direction, I've decided to work on a clone of my own: http://bjcphero.wordpress.com/2012/0...allhead-clone/

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
I actually bought that book a few months back mostly for the section on Gumballhead. That recipe (or ingredient set really) is out there to see but I was hoping for a little more discussion about it in the book. No such luck. Still a good book though.

I've made a version of this about 4-5 times now and I try to make sure I've always got one on tap. I've done it extract and all grain. In my most recent batch, I subbed in Aromatic for the Caravienne since Aromatic is listed in the Brewing with Wheat book. It's carbing now and I can't wait because it's one of the best gravity samples I've tasted. I'm just not sure I'm buying the hop list in the book though. I'm sure it's correct because I don't see why they would lie about it, but I've always made mine with straight Amarillo. I can see using Warrior to bitter instead of wasting Amarillo on that, but I just can't taste the Simcoe in the real version.
Hey Spaceman, I'm looking to brew a Gumballhead Clone as my next beer (I've never even had the beer, it just sounds awesome), and was wondering if you could comment on how the beer turned out with using aromatic malt. A bunch of these clone recipes I've been looking over typically have wheat malt, 2-row pale, and a little bit of caravienna. Just wanted to see which way I should go. It seems like the aromatic malt would be closer to the real thing?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #15
SpacemanSpiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE

Hey Spaceman, I'm looking to brew a Gumballhead Clone as my next beer (I've never even had the beer, it just sounds awesome), and was wondering if you could comment on how the beer turned out with using aromatic malt. A bunch of these clone recipes I've been looking over typically have wheat malt, 2-row pale, and a little bit of caravienna. Just wanted to see which way I should go. It seems like the aromatic malt would be closer to the real thing?
Aromatic is supposedly in the real thing, but I think I'd lean a little toward the Caravienne version. It's not a dead on clone, but I've generally preferred those batches even to the real thing. I think the jury's still out on my Aromatic batches though. The book doesn't give percentages so I've tried a couple different levels. In the most recent batch, I don't know what happened. I've had it happen a couple of times where it just doesn't taste right at first. Hard to describe, but it just seems harsh. After 2-3 months of aging though it comes in and tastes great. I've started to suspect the big dry hop load as that would be an explanation for something that evens out over time. Especially with an American wheat that really shouldn't need to age. But on this last batch even the grav sample tasted kind of iffy.

Long story short, I think for the next batch I'm going to go back to the Caravienne recipe and see what happens. While not a true clone, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
BrewIt
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How long do you guys dry hop for?

Quick Reply