Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Guess what I'm brewing!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #21
Funkenjaeger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman98
It is a Red ale.
I don't want to say "no it's not", but uh... Are you sure about that? I hardly think that 12 ounces of very light crystal malt is going to make it red - I'd think at best you're looking at a light amber. Sticking your recipe in beersmith, it looks like its color is indeed below the style guidelines for an irish red. Not only that, but your IBU's are well above the guidelines for a red as well, unless you're doing a very concentrated boil.
However, it DOES seem to match up to the style guidelines for an american pale ale. Not trying to be a dick or anything, as you're totally free to call it whatever you want, call it a stout for all we care, as long as you enjoy it - but how were we supposed to guess the beer style of your recipe if your recipe doesn't fit the beer style you're calling it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
prsman
Recipes 

Location: Belleville, just across the river from St. Louis, Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
What? I use nottingham yeast when I brew my BUD ICE Clone!

I also used it in my Pabst Blue Ribbon Clone and my "almost Coors" Clone but it didn't work as well in those.

Anyone have a good recipe for a "Milwauke's Best" Clone?
<pukes guts out>

That's what she said.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #23
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjäger
I don't want to say "no it's not", but uh... Are you sure about that? I hardly think that 12 ounces of very light crystal malt is going to make it red - I'd think at best you're looking at a light amber. Sticking your recipe in beersmith, it looks like its color is indeed below the style guidelines for an irish red. Not only that, but your IBU's are well above the guidelines for a red as well, unless you're doing a very concentrated boil.
However, it DOES seem to match up to the style guidelines for an american pale ale. Not trying to be a dick or anything, as you're totally free to call it whatever you want, call it a stout for all we care, as long as you enjoy it - but how were we supposed to guess the beer style of your recipe if your recipe doesn't fit the beer style you're calling it?
I agree. I would say the malt bill would be OK for an American Pale but not the hops (need some citrus) that is why I originally thought it was an Amber.

When I think red I think (one or more): crystal 60, 120, cara-munich, maybe crystal 40 for a lighter red color.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #24
Cartman98
Recipes 

Well then...I plugged it into beersmith and ended up with an American Dark Lager...but i just downloaded it and perhaps didn't use it right. Anyhow I wanted a red but if I don't end up with one, I'll probably have to drink it and try again...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #25
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman98
Well then...I plugged it into beersmith and ended up with an American Dark Lager...but i just downloaded it and perhaps didn't use it right. Anyhow I wanted a red but if I don't end up with one, I'll probably have to drink it and try again...
That doesn't sound like so bad of a problem, drink up son!

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Old 11-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #26
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts

The default on the style is American Dark Lager. You have to choose your style. It won't guess your style according to the ingredients. The reason for choosing the style in the program is to see if your ingredients will end up matching they style color, IBU's, SG and FG.

Quick Reply