Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Guava beer suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
teucer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Guava beer suggestions?

I want to brew a beer with guava.

I don't want it to be a generic American fruity wheat thing, because I think the base beer for most fruited American wheats is pretty boring and if I didn't want the beer half to be exciting I'd be making a liqueur or a mead instead of a beer. It also seems a little overdone. (Note that this is base style being a wheaty 6D that I'm prejudiced against, not all wheat beers ever.) But other than that, I'm wide open. Hit me with your interesting ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm assuming you are wanting to use guava paste and not fresh fruit. The paste will give you more of the flavors I think most people associate with guava. You might want to consider something with a little "funk". Try researching a lambic recipe and work it in that way. But again assuming you are using the paste I would make sure you cook it in some water to loosen it up into a thinner paste instead of big ol' hunks of jelly that will take forever to break down in your kettle of fermentor.

Or you could do a Saison like Cigar City Brewing has done. I've yet to try it but here's a link. It looks like they use a secondary and add the beer to the puree.
http://www.cigarcitybrewing.com/inde...d=15&Itemid=33

You could possibly use a product like this http://www.amazon.com/Culinary-Tradi...5959416&sr=8-1 but it would be a bit pricier than using guava paste.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
teucer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
I'm assuming you are wanting to use guava paste and not fresh fruit.
Not something I'd made my mind up about at all, but it sounds like a reasonable choice.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Sleepyemt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd do a Belgian pale, along the lines of a patersbier , that way no worries about the funk or infection. Or having to worry about extended fermentation, and you can still allow the fruit to shine through....

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Shorts did a collaboration with Half Acre called Spirit of '78 (I think that was the name). It was an IPA with guava. I didn't get to try it but my friends who did loved it. My be a good idea.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Coopmiami
Recipes 

I recently did a passionfruit guava pale ale. Diced up passion fruit and tossed it in the boil with about 10 minutes left and then aged it in the secondary on fresh guava also diced up, and it came out great

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
tilt
Recipes 

I've been having similar thoughts here in NZ. I've frozen 5kg taken off a tree in the backyard. My fruit have a tannic flavoured skin and some sourness but have a real depth of flavour that could work well with a less roasty porter. I'm thinking Marris Otter, Pale Choc and light crystal mashed high for dextrins and sweetness with a less attenuative English yeast for fruity character and sweetness to balance the fruits inherent tartness. The hesitation I have is that if I get the dark malts wrong then the tannins will clash big time.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

image-1805977430.jpg

Just found this guava pulp at a Latin grocery store for about $1.50 for a 14oz package. I recently bottled a Saison that used WLP566 and pulled aside a gallon for something like this. I'm thinking of throwing in a package of this and maybe some bottle dregs of something with Brett. I want it to stay very dry and just have an accent of the guava in the background. The pulp is pasteurized so I think just defrost & sanitize the outside and scissors and throw it in.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
bjbancroft
Recipes 

How did that guava pulp turn out? At which stage did you put it in and how much did you use?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbancroft
How did that guava pulp turn out? At which stage did you put it in and how much did you use?
So far so good. I used one 14oz package and ended up tasting it after a few months with Orval dregs and decided to switch gears and add some sour dregs to it as well. Last I checked it was coming along nicely but needs a lot more time now. I'm thinking of racking it on a new 14oz pack in a few months to revive any lost fruit character.

Quick Reply