*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Grodziskie - Polish smoked wheat beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #21
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I can't believe no one here has brewed this beer since it was posted.
I have! It's a very tasty beer. I'm very happy with my attempt at this beer. I've added it to the recipe section here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
Glossolalia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry for bumping this thread years later, but it seems more appropriate than starting a new thread. Apparently, Weyermann is now producing an oak-smoked wheat malt that they specify as being used for making Grodziskie. The specification sheet specifies to use it at up to 80% of the total grist. I was under the impression that Grodziskie was typically 100% smoked wheat malt. Has anyone here made it with Weyermann's malt? Would I be better off splitting the grist with 40-50% non-smoked wheat malt?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
slotish
Recipes 

Hi
I've never used this malt but from the other polish homebrewers I heared that even with 100% of this malt in total grist, beer turned out to be not sufficiently smoked in aroma and taste.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #24
kopyr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Grodziskie Redivivus

Polish Homebrewers Association (PSPD) published report about Grodziskie. A lot of information about technology and ingredients.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Awesome link, thanks kopyr! Going to chime in here again to update on my first attempt. It was my first time using wheat and also one of my earlier brews and ended up getting dumped. To start with, I didn't grind the wheat and so my efficiency ended up in the 20-40% range I believe. I had used Moshers recipe, where he specifies a much higher than usual OG, so this was not the worst thing that could have happened to my beer. But I did end up aging it for an extended time during which it managed to get infected. Ended up dumping the batch without even trying it

But I plan on making another attempt this summer. Have a bunch of white oak trees in MI and am a little bit more practiced in using the smoker now, and also in grinding my grains and using proper sanitation Will definitely keep this thread updated with my attempts.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
Feurhund
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a great Gratzer with white wheat malt I smoked at home with white oak for two hours. Hopped the hell out of it using the same schedule and amount of Saaz as my Bo pils recipe. Used Kolsch yeast fermented cool and at 1 month it was a monster of a beer considering it was 4%abv.

Smelled like an oak fire and had a flavor of a nice smoked Gouda with a clean refreshing finish. Time blended and mellowed the flavors, but at 8 months this small beer still had personality.

Turned some heads at competitions from the score sheets. Got a 38 from a professional brewer at one, but didn't place. Specialty beer Is a tough category and this beer just messes with an preconceived notions. I highly recommend smoking your own and brewing it up for early fall.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #27
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

So who's used the Weyermann smoked malt so far? I just ordered ingredients and will be making in in a batch or two. I went with Saaz hops. I figure I'll give this Weyermann malt a try this first time and then I'll considering smoking my own if it's not smokey enough

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #28
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

I haven't tried it but I assume since they pretty much made it for this particular beer style it should work well.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I got my 13lbs of the smoked wheat malt. it smells amazingly smokey through the bag even. I'm going to bring a few ounces to work with me to let the other brewers get a whiff of the stuff. I'm really looking forward to brewing this beer. I can't wait to get it bottled up and ready to go. Luckily I have a ton of empty grolsh bottles and other heavy glass ready for a beer like this. According to Kristen England in Brewing with Wheat it should be carbed up to almost 4 volumes. I will do my best to remember to pull like a quart or so of wort and freeze it for priming when I bottle. I always tend to forget that sort of thing at the last minute since I don't do it all the time.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

It definitely benefits from the higher carbonation.

Quick Reply