The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Grodziskie - Polish smoked wheat beer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
ohad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Israel
Posts: 231
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
4 - why the stepped mash? Looks like you have an acid rest, a protein rest and the saccharification rest. Could you get away with a single infusion mash? I'm not sure what malts are available to you in Poland, but most malts here in the US are highly modified and don't really need protein rests.
I think I saw some empty Weyermann sacks in the background in the video.
That is at least one available high quality malt, then.

Do you use the Smoked malt by Weyermann ?
I remember reading that different smoking wood gives very different flavor.
The Bamberg smoked malt (that's the home of Weyermann and Schlenkerla) has a sausage-like flavor in my opinion, and I don't like it in large amount.
Just my opinion...
__________________
ohad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 4,567
Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Default

I think the only commercially available smoked malts are Beachwood (traditional rauchmalt), and Cherry wood. I think Weyermann makes the Rauchmalt. Don't remember who makes the Cherry wood. Briess maybe? I'm guessing this recipe employs traditional Rauch barley malt and some regular wheat malt. If you have the ability to smoke your own malt, I guess I'd go for 100% oak smoked wheat malt. I need to find a friend with a smoker...

__________________
Edcculus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,092
Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2499

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I think the only commercially available smoked malts are Beachwood (traditional rauchmalt), and Cherry wood. I think Weyermann makes the Rauchmalt. Don't remember who makes the Cherry wood. Briess maybe? I'm guessing this recipe employs traditional Rauch barley malt and some regular wheat malt. If you have the ability to smoke your own malt, I guess I'd go for 100% oak smoked wheat malt. I need to find a friend with a smoker...
Briess does makes the cherrywood smoked barley malt (see my recipes for a smoke I made with it).
__________________
try to earn what lovers own
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #14
FalangaNR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 8
Default

http://translate.google.com/translat...l%2C18188.html
__________________
FalangaNR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
donalcon1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ireland
Posts: 3
Default

hi all just wondering ive a friend moving to poland for a few months and was wondering if anybody knew if there is anything like homebrew shops over there? he is big into it.

any help you can give would be great

__________________
donalcon1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
kopyr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalcon1 View Post
hi all just wondering ive a friend moving to poland for a few months and was wondering if anybody knew if there is anything like homebrew shops over there? he is big into it.

any help you can give would be great
Yes, a few.

Browamator
Centrum Piwowarstwa
Homebrewing.pl
Twój Browar

If he need any help with translation or something else, he can write at the forum at piwo.org or browar.biz.
__________________
kopyr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
donalcon1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: ireland
Posts: 3
Default

thanks a million for that

__________________
donalcon1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #18
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,092
Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2499

Default

I can't believe no one here has brewed this beer since it was posted.

__________________
try to earn what lovers own
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: chicago
Posts: 109
Likes Given: 8

Default

I'm going to try brewing this up. I smoked 10 pounds of malted wheat with white oak for 90-100 minutes this past weekend. It smells awesome! The fire got a little hot towards the end and the temp went all the way to 180F.

Got a little browning and some burnt grains but nothing too bad. I'm planning on roasting a pound or so in the oven on brewday and then mashing all 10 pounds. Don't have any Saaz or Lubin on hand, so I'm thinking of using Magnum and Hallertau.

__________________
opteek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #20
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteek View Post
I'm going to try brewing this up. I smoked 10 pounds of malted wheat with white oak for 90-100 minutes this past weekend. It smells awesome! The fire got a little hot towards the end and the temp went all the way to 180F.

Got a little browning and some burnt grains but nothing too bad. I'm planning on roasting a pound or so in the oven on brewday and then mashing all 10 pounds. Don't have any Saaz or Lubin on hand, so I'm thinking of using Magnum and Hallertau.
Personally I don't see a reason to toast grains in the oven. Your wheat malt is already kilned, so smoking it gets you something of a second kiln, which as you saw causes some browning -- or roasting -- of the grain. I could only see a reason to toast the grains further if you are skilled enough with the smoker to prevent any additional browning in that step.

I know Mosher advocates toasting some of the grain in the over, but like I said, for those of us who are amatuers at smoking you're going to end up adding that roast flavor from the heat in the smoker...
__________________
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone familiar with Grodziskie (Grätzer Bier)? Brewtopia Recipes/Ingredients 15 12-29-2010 02:37 PM
Anybody have a good Polish Beer / Zywiec Clone? drux_tx Recipes/Ingredients 6 11-17-2008 01:06 PM
Polish Beer - Lomza Brewsmith Commercial Brew Discussion 7 01-30-2008 08:35 PM
Smoked wheat tbulger Recipes/Ingredients 12 07-16-2007 12:40 AM
Polish OK Beer full pale xpoc454 General Beer Discussion 9 01-08-2006 05:02 PM



Newest Threads