New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Is "Griffin's Bow" just a strong ale with clean yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
blakelyc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Is "Griffin's Bow" just a strong ale with clean yeast?

I just opened up a Sam Adam's "Griffin's Bow'.... really, really enjoying it. The bottled calls it a "oaked blonde barley wine ale". From the bottle, it is some proprietary pale malt blend to a 1.096 OG (23.5 plato), along with 45 IBUs worth of Nelson Sauvin and Zeus.

The taste to me is very similar to a Belgian strong ale but without any Belgian character at all. Is that pretty much how a blonde barley wine sets up? I can't find many references for things in this style.

Thoughts? Feelings?

-b

------------------------------
Tarnation! Home Brewery
http://www.alementary.com

Planning: Munich Helles, Maibock
Primary: IPA
Secondary/aging: Straight Lambic, Berliner Weisse
On tap: Dortmunder Export, Cider
Recently Kicked: American Stour

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That beer was good, but I didn't care for the oak character. But yeah, take the grain bill for a Belgian strong ale, like a Duvel clone, and up the IBUs with some American or English hops. That would get you close to that beer. Getting it that clean will be hard though. Pitch a ton of yeast and oxygenate it a lot.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #3
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I have nothing technical to add really just my thoughts when I had griffin's bow. First, I really enjoyed the experience. I thought there was so much going on with the flavor I couldn't believe it was a blonde BW.

On Deck Westy 12 (19X), Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Quick Reply