Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Green herbal beer with spirulina?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I assume you're aware, but I would be careful with the eucalyptus because it's poisonous (even if it takes quite of bit to become so).

I'm following this thread with a fair bit of anticipation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been thinking about how to best extract the color and here is what I would do. Soak the spirulina in water for an hour to reconstitute. Then freeze the spirulina/water mixture. By freezing, the forming ice crystals will pierce the cell walls of the rehydrated spirulina. Thaw the sample then add lemon juice to pH 3, then an equal amount of everclear to the amount of water originally added. Shake for about 5 minutes. Then refrigerate it until the spirulina falls out of suspension. Decant off the supernatant and it's ready to add to the beer.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #13
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Assuming I'm aware of anything could be dangerous... and no, I wasn't aware. Thanks for pointing it out. Maybe juniper or wintergreen would give the desired effect without that pesky toxicity. We have this cool shop in town called The Spice Merchant - I'll just go sniff their jars until inspiration strikes.

I'm getting kind of excited about this too. Mmmm hippie beer...

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #14
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
My latest idea: Add a small amount of ginger and possibly eucalyptus or something similar to the beer when I brew it. They would serve to round the "seaweed" flavor out to more of a generic "herbal" character. The goal would be to make them background flavors. I'll probably skip the aroma hops if I do this.
Do you have any sort of lager/pale ale/etc to bottle soon? Maybe try just adding a little to one bottle and see how it looks when you pour it after carbing?

Even better, pick a target amount, and do that in one bottle, half as much in bottle #2, and twice as much in bottle #3. Label clearly and check on color/taste in a few weeks.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Do you have any sort of lager/pale ale/etc to bottle soon? Maybe try just adding a little to one bottle and see how it looks when you pour it after carbing?

Even better, pick a target amount, and do that in one bottle, half as much in bottle #2, and twice as much in bottle #3. Label clearly and check on color/taste in a few weeks.

yeah, i am actually just about to go do just that - I happen to have a light ale in the fermenter. Too bad results on this kind of experimentation take so long. I'll have to find something else to occupy my mind for a week.

-PoB

Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #16
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I say, "Just brew it." Take good notes and add the algae as late as possible (in whatever your chosen form is). Then again, I might just be curious on how this experiment ends so I can reap the results of its progress.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #17
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well blue and yellow make green in a controlled environment. So def test, you might need a pretty dark tea of stuff to make the desired ruby green/turqoise you desire. So I would use a large amount to "dry hop" or mash with, and then maye make a tea and boil it off to make an essence of sorts for flavor. There are so many ways you could do this, i think you just need to pick a way and brew it, even if its is only 1 gal.

It may do best in alcohol but Beer is not equal to everclear.

Primary : Honeybuns Weizen, Ode to Arthur(with partial sour)
Secondary:
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops, Hazed and Infused Clone
Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 AM   #18
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

brewed 1 gallon on Monday - was a great color, but every hint of color sedimented out. I've got some more experiments in the works. should have results this weekend. These little guys have notoriously tough cell walls. there are patents i've found online for fairly complex devices invented for fractionating spirulina.

I won't easily accept defeat with this - it's quite a fun challenge and it's getting me back into some basic biology, which I was always very interested in.

The other side of this is the herbal flavors - I haven't tasted my 1 gallon batch yet, but I'm optimistic.

-PoB

Last edited by PintOfBitter; 04-03-2009 at 03:04 AM.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
PintOfBitter
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Following up on this old thread: my experimental gallon kept getting nastier and nastier, color-wise, and the taste was cack.

Someday I may try this again, but the Spirulina need some sort of special treatment in order to extract the color - the cells themselves seem to flocculate just like yeast. The best method i've come accross in my research seems to be ultrasonically rupturing them.

-PoB

Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Interesting thread. Has anyone else tried this?

Quick Reply