Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > great "oktoberfest" using kolsch yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
Dougan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezeblade View Post
I think that the "buttered" flavor would actually be the yeast throwing out a bit of diacetyl, which you can be remedied by bringing the fermenting beer up in temp for a rest at normal ale temps, just like you would for a lager.
I've often wondered if that is the case, because I don't brew lagers really, so I haven't really nailed down the diacetyl taste. However, like permo, I ferment my Kolsch-yeast beers cold but once they get to about .010 to .007 from their anticipated FG, I ramp them up to something in-between 65 and 70 (let the apartment's room temp decide) and I still get the flavor. I feel it's just a yeast characteristic. I know New Glarus uses White Labs or Wyeast Kolsch strain for their Spotted Cow, and I notice this flavor in that beer as well.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply