Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Grapefruit and Peppercorn Wit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Wingy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Grapefruit and Peppercorn Wit?

So I've been playing around with the idea of making a wit but replacing the orange peel and coriander with grapefruit zest (plus a bit of rind to add some of the bitterness you'd get from orange peel) and peppercorns (green, red, and black ones). The major goal is to produce a wit with more tartness/spiciness/sharpness than the standard variety while retaining easy summer drinkability. Anyone have any experience with something similar? Here's the recipe for now - any input on mash temps/times would also be appreciated.

Grains
5lb Belgian 2-row
5lb Unmalted Wheat

1.5oz Saaz (45 min)
0.75oz Saaz (15 min)
Zest of one grapefruit (5 min)
10-15 peppercorns, freshly crushed (5 min)
2 peppercorns, freshly crushed (flameout)

Mash: Right now I'm thinking either 60 minutes at 153 deg F or 15 minutes at 122 deg F and then second infusion to hit 153 for 45 minutes.

Other oddity: 45 minute boil to keep color light

Fermentation: Pitch at 68-70, let rise naturally up to around 75-80, depending on how warm the yeasties decide to make it (I know, I know, temperature control, but it seems like a lot of the breweries that make wits use a similar strategy and do not seem to have problems).

I've seen various posts about cereal mash vs no cereal mash and it seems like people have had success with either, but that not doing a cereal mash might decrease the efficiency a bit.

Thanks for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1233 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 563

I'm a strong believer in protein rests with that kind of quantity of unmalted wheat. I've done both, but more than efficiency the rest makes the wheat character sing through.

Otherwise, it looks fine and dandy. I'd consider cutting back the peppercorns. Even that amount sounds like it might be too much, though of course that's just a hunch. As far as grapefruit go, I've got a grapefruit wit fermenting right now. In the past, it has been great.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
Wingy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks! I'll keep the protein rest in then and hopefully brew it up this weekend. Peppercorns might drop down a bit but I'll post back with how it goes and hopefully how it turns out.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

FWIW, Citra hops add a grapefruit smell/taste as well. The Citra Pale Ale that I just bottled is a grapefruit beer lol.

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Quick Reply