Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Grandpa's woodshed apple smoked porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
rewster451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Grandpa's woodshed apple smoked porter

I posted a thread recently about my first bad beer, but I wanted to post something about a truly fantastic beer I brewed. I would encourage people to try something like it. I smoked three pounds of base malt with apple wood chips and mashed it with some aromatic and some black patent, a little chocolate malt and a bunch of DME. We also mashed crisp maris otter which we toasted in the oven for about ten minutes.
Then we baked two apples and threw those in the mash. The hop schedule was as appropriately porterlike as we could get on our own.
After the primary fermentation we threw about two pounds of dried applewood chips into the secondary.
This beer is fantastic. The apple comes through just slightly, and the smoke flavor of the apple wood chips compliments it very nicely. People I know who are from KC tell me that it embodies the spirit of drinking and bbq'ing at the same time. I'm very proud of it. It also clocks in at 7.5% ABV and has quite a kick to it. I've given it enough time now that it is silky smooth and is very drinkable. Smoking your own grains is, in my opinion, the key to brewing great smoked porters. Try it. I swear.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds great!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning: