Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Which grains to steep?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
uwmgdman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Which grains to steep?

From what I've read, or from my understanding of what I've read (Palmer, as well as my LHBS catalog:
http://www.wineandhop.com/CatalogBeer/GrainSteep.shtml) the only grains that should be used for steeping are crystal and roasted malts, all others need to be mashed. I'm an extract/steeping grain brewer and I've been looking at receipies on the Recipator, and many have grains in the steeping list (Munich, Pale, etc. etc) that from my readings should only be mashed.

So what does steeping grains that are to be mashed do to a beer? Is something I should refrain from? Or is it no big deal? Any comments are appreciated.

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwmgdman
From what I've read, or from my understanding of what I've read (Palmer, as well as my LHBS catalog:
http://www.wineandhop.com/CatalogBeer/GrainSteep.shtml) the only grains that should be used for steeping are crystal and roasted malts, all others need to be mashed. I'm an extract/steeping grain brewer and I've been looking at receipies on the Recipator, and many have grains in the steeping list (Munich, Pale, etc. etc) that from my readings should only be mashed.

So what does steeping grains that are to be mashed do to a beer? Is something I should refrain from? Or is it no big deal? Any comments are appreciated.
The key thing that is missing from Palmer's text is the important message that grains that need to be mashed only need to be mashed to get fermentables out of them. You can steep any grain you want, and it will add flavor/color to your beer no problem.

If you steep a grain that is supposed to be mashed (to get sugar), you will still get the flavor and color out of it, but you won't get an appreciable amount of fermentable sugar. So, if you are using a bunch of extract, you are getting fermentables from THAT, and the grain is negligible with respects to sugar contribution anyway.

You might get some starch in your beer that could make it cloudy (particularly when the beer is chilled), but you won't ruin the beer at all.

-walker

Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Oh no . . . is this going to start that contentious debate aobut whether or not steeping base malts is actually a 'mash'???

You only need to steep specialty malts - not base malts as they are used for mashing (i.e. getting fermentables).

When I was an extract/specialty grain brewer, I used to do a simulated "mash" with my specialty grains. I realize that I obtained no fermentables out of the process, but I found it fun and a great practice for all-grain brewing. I took a tiny little cooler and built a very tiny little manifold. Instead of steeping those specialty grains, I "mashed" them and batch sparged to obtain my grain "tea" before adding extract.

It was fun . . . if not a bit nerdy, as the effect was no different than steeping those grains.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

If you are just doing an extract beer with some grani steep what ever you want. You arent really looking for the fermentables because you are getting them fromthe extracts. When you steep them you are basicly just after the color and flavors they give you.

If you are after the fermentables you could do a mini mash or if you're lazy like me just add a bit more extract or honey or something.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

You can always go the way of mini-mashing. Steep those "mash" grains at 150 degrees for twenty minutes or so before you go to the boil, removing the same prior to boil. Then steep the others after the boil.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Steeping grains that are normally mashed can result in high finish gravities, cloudy ales due to dissolved starches. In small quantities, this isn't a problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Walker
You might get some starch in your beer that could make it cloudy (particularly when the beer is chilled), but you won't ruin the beer at all.

-walker
I see, thanks for the replies guys. I take it this is why, when I see those 'mashing' grains in the steep list, I also see Irish Moss to be added so that cloudyness won't happen?

Drinking: NewZealand IPA, 2013,2011 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei

Old 03-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
I see, thanks for the replies guys. I take it this is why, when I see those 'mashing' grains in the steep list, I also see Irish Moss to be added so that cloudyness won't happen?
Irish moss is added to any beer you want clear, but it coagulates with proteins, not with starch. If you get a starchy haze in your beer I'm not sure you can get rid of it, but I'm 95% sure Irish moss won't help.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Yes, the irish moss helps with the haze, but it's not perfect.

The haze is purely cosmetic (no affect on the flavor), so I don't get bent out of shape about the cloudiness at all.

edit: BeeGee is correct. the moss won't help with starch haze... wasn't thinking at full capacity there...

-walker

Old 03-27-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Walker
Yes, the irish moss helps with the haze, but it's not perfect.

The haze is purely cosmetic (no affect on the flavor), so I don't get bent out of shape about the cloudiness at all.

edit: BeeGee is correct. the moss won't help with starch haze... wasn't thinking at full capacity there...
I have steeped oven-toasted 2-row for color/flavor in an IPA with crystal. It gave a beautiful copper color and a nice subtle biscuit flavor that I really like, but that is the cloudiest beer I've ever made. I never made the connection until now, but that's probably why.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Quick Reply