Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Grains of Paradise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
culaslucas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Grains of Paradise

So my LHBS doesn't have this and I need it for a brew tomorrow - think the grocery stores will have this? If not, any ideas where I could find it ASAP?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Shay
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I would try Central Market (if they are in Colorado) or Whole Foods.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

That's funny, usually I have sent cooks on other non brewing forums to LHB's to buy GOP's for recipe that cal for it, because it really isn't a common spice to people other than brewers.

You will need to call around to specialty markets, especially ethnic ones, or high end gourmet ones (maybe a world marketplace, if there's one in Colorado, but they might not even have it.).

Is there a big West African community, or african community of any type near you, the spice is really only used in african cooking, and evidently Alton Brown does an okra and tomatoes recipe that calls for it.

I warn you, if you can't find it in a homebrew shop, or an ethnic market you willbe paying big bucks for it. It's really an expensive spice, and therefore if you find it in a high end market you will pay through the nose...but if you find it in an african market, it will cost you less...Kinda like buying saffron...in most stores it is uber expensive, but if you go to an ethnic grocery, like a mexican mercado, you will pay less for it...it may be a lesser quality, but it will work fine for your purposes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ya, I just called Whole Foods - it's $8 for 2.5 oz - I only need less than 2 grams....I'll do some calling around to ethnic stores - thanks for the tip Revvypedia.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Since the big brew tomorrow has a saison in the suggested recipes I figure GOP is gonna be in short supply at any HBS this weekend.....I was going to do the saison, but I've decided to go a different route, for the very reason....I figure the yeast and the gop's are going to be gone before I get my stuff tomorrow.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

There's always this option...from one of the similar threads that showed up below...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/substituting-grains-paradise-62551/

Don't know how good of a substitute it is....

Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

From what I understand cardomom is very close.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 05-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
culaslucas
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies - I guess my LHBS DOES HAVE it but last time I was in there I didn't see it and the guy working was SOOOOOOO high, he had no idea what was going on...

Look at their logo: Stomp Them Grapes! LLC and Hop To It Homebrew! (the one on the right for Hop To It), looks like South Park. The guy reminded me of Towlie.

Last edited by culaslucas; 05-01-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply