Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > grain bill for extra high grav IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't think he will get anywhere near that, I would think in the 60-65% range unless he can collect 12 gallons preboil and do a 2 hour boil.

How much spare water were you planning on using?

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You should plan to do a parti gyle so you don't waste all the fermentables that are going to be left over. Cap the mash with some roasted malts and get a porter or stout out it.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
With a 2hr mash at 147F and 2lbs of corn sugar, you are risking having a thin, watery IPA with insufficient malt backbone to stand up to big IPA hops. I would do 152F for 1hr, and cut the sugar in half. YMMV.
And sorry, but I 100000% disagree with this. There is zero chance this beer will be thin or watery in any way, shape, or form. If he had 8lbs of malt, with 2lbs of corn sugar, i'd agree with you. But he has 28.5lbs of malt for a 6gallon batch. OG in the 1.16-1.17 range. It's going to be a challenge to get this beer dry enough to the point it's drinkable.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #14
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts

I am figuring that my efficiency is going to be a bit low since I don't want to start with 12G pre boil... and when I mash to my capacity (that's 30 lbs) I never get a great efficiency. (6-75 - 80%+ with much smaller grain bills) I will be shooting for 9-10G pre boil which I can easily boil off in under 3 hours. (maybe under 2 with my new banjo burner) ... I'm planning to shoot for a 1.14OG before adding the 2nd lb of corn sugar... O2 aeration for 5 mins before pitching a crapload (3 11.5G packs considering 4) of hydrated s-05 then re aeration 12 hours later... then after a few days/maybe a week when fermentation slows I'm going to to pitch a big WLP-99 starter along with the extra corn sugar. Oh.. and crap loads of hops in that big boil.. like a pound of pellets. calculated IBU of 120+ but reality who knows..

My notion of mashing at 147 was along the lines of what I do when I make somewhat lighter trappist style (last time I did that with 1.1OG and mash at 148F for 90 mins on it and got 1.1OG down to 1.014FG) Going to boil down to 1.14OG (pain since I don't have a refractomoter with cooling and testing but that's how I've done other big beers to hit OG perfect) If I can get hit 80% from 1.15 I'll be down to 1.03 which will be thick but ok with a lot of hop bitterness... I'm hoping to get more like 84% and be down in the 1.024 range. That would be right about where I want to be.

Yea.. I'm really going for crazy big beer along the lines of a DFH 120 but not specifically that... trying to avoid the sheer sugar content of DFH 120. I'm going to dry hop it as well and then keg up and drink. Some will be put into bottles from the keg to age to see how that works out as well.

Maybe I should actually drop some of my grain and replace with a little more sugar to up my sugar to 15% of the grain bill and add a little more of that at WLP99 time.. going to drop the carapils... seems silly to have that as I am thinking about it.

hmmm partigyle not a bad idea.. could take some additional water and probably pull another batch of something light out of the grain.. I'll think about that... might not have the resources to pull that off at the same time though.. I'm also doing an extract batch of a different beer at the same time and that wort just won't be right for it.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 AM   #15
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
And sorry, but I 100000% disagree with this. There is zero chance this beer will be thin or watery in any way, shape, or form. If he had 8lbs of malt, with 2lbs of corn sugar, i'd agree with you. But he has 28.5lbs of malt for a 6gallon batch. OG in the 1.16-1.17 range. It's going to be a challenge to get this beer dry enough to the point it's drinkable.
+1, and a challenge to afford the hops necessary to get this "thing" any where near a IIIIIIPA.

I would cut the grain bill down, but that's me.

_

Old 07-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #16
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetrueruss View Post
Maybe I should actually drop some of my grain and replace with a little more sugar to up my sugar to 15% of the grain bill and add a little more of that at WLP99 time.. going to drop the carapils... seems silly to have that as I am thinking about it.
That would be my recommendation. In a big this big, you'll never know the 15% corn sugar was there, and starting with a littler lower OG, and feeding the ferment corn sugar will definitely help dry it out. Good luck man! Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

so I think this is the recipe I am going with:

25 lbs 2-row
1 lb Caramel Munich
4 lbs corn sugar

The corn sugar will all be added 2lbs during boil, then the other 2 when I add my WLP99. (starting with S05)

I figure, depending on my efficiency I should wind up with roughly 15% fermentables from sugar. Very reasonable I think.

I am now calculating a 1.143 total OG with a final just under 1.03... I am hoping to get it a little drier than that. The low mash and sugar should help that as long as I can keep my yeast from crapping out.

Anyhow that's my plan.. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your input

Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #18
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I adjusted things a bit and she's a bubbling...

grain bill was:

23lbs 2 row
1 lb Caramel Munich
2 lbs corn sugar

6 G batch

I mashed for 90 mins at 148F. My temp dropped a bit by the end of the mash to 141F. (I think the ice chest lid wasn't shut all the way.) Wort tasted super sweet so I figured all good. Batch sparged in 2 batches and wound up with 10G of wort.

130 min boil and I was down to about 6G.

my OG was 1.11

Right now it is bubbling on 3 packs of S-05 at 65F. Slightly over pitched but I think it will be fine.

I have another 2 lbs of corn sugar to add in a week or so when I add a big starter of WLP99.

I figure that sugar will up my measured + calced OG to 1.127 or so. If I hit 80% attenuation I should wind up right at about 14% ABV. Hopefully with my solid temp control running I'll have something drinkable by OCT.

I used 14oz of hop pellets in this sucker. It looked a bit like a hop soup going into the fermentor. I figure it will all settle out. Of course I'm going to dry hop with another 4OZ of pellets so it will have a full pound of hops in this thing.

It isn't quite as high of an OG as I was originally starting out to produce but I think it will be a more drinkable beer for it. 14% will be crazy high enough I think.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonetrueruss View Post
I adjusted things a bit and she's a bubbling...

grain bill was:

23lbs 2 row
1 lb Caramel Munich
2 lbs corn sugar

6 G batch

I mashed for 90 mins at 148F. My temp dropped a bit by the end of the mash to 141F. (I think the ice chest lid wasn't shut all the way.) Wort tasted super sweet so I figured all good. Batch sparged in 2 batches and wound up with 10G of wort.

Sweet. I just noticed you are in woodstock. I am in Acworth and would love to try this once complete. PM me sometime.

130 min boil and I was down to about 6G.

my OG was 1.11

Right now it is bubbling on 3 packs of S-05 at 65F. Slightly over pitched but I think it will be fine.

I have another 2 lbs of corn sugar to add in a week or so when I add a big starter of WLP99.

I figure that sugar will up my measured + calced OG to 1.127 or so. If I hit 80% attenuation I should wind up right at about 14% ABV. Hopefully with my solid temp control running I'll have something drinkable by OCT.

I used 14oz of hop pellets in this sucker. It looked a bit like a hop soup going into the fermentor. I figure it will all settle out. Of course I'm going to dry hop with another 4OZ of pellets so it will have a full pound of hops in this thing.

It isn't quite as high of an OG as I was originally starting out to produce but I think it will be a more drinkable beer for it. 14% will be crazy high enough I think.

Sweet sounds excellent. I just noticed your are in woodstock. I am in acworth and I would love to try this when it is done. I'll trade you for some other home brew or cascade rhizomes.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 PM   #20
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

sounds plausible... If it turns out good we can work something out... I just don't trade stuff I think is crap. My hopes are high though Planning an Oct Fest at my place Oct 8 with this and a few others on tap. PM if interested.

Quick Reply