New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Got some Weizen yeast, these recipes sound tasty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Got some Weizen yeast, these recipes sound tasty?

I am going back and forth over whether to make a wit style (spiced) or a Rye style beer (with the grains). This is a weizen yeast from a brewery and it produces no esters, very clean (almost lager) flavor. I am going to make beer from it, just not sure what yet. Here are the two recipes I am going between.

Wit-less Brew

5 lbs American Two Row
4 lbs Red Wheat
1 lbs Flaked Oats

.25oz Magnum (45 min)
.5 oz Tettnanger (5 min)

.75 oz Corriander (10 min)
2 oz Fresh Orange Zest (10 min)

or...

Countdown Rye

4 lbs Rye Malt
3 lbs American Two Row
2 lbs Wheat Malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
Rice Hulls

1 oz Willamette (60 min)

So those are the thoughts so far. Thinking that a Rye Wheat might be more to style of the yeast, but once again it is a very clean flavored yeast (no bananas and cloves), which is honestly the only reason that I am thinking of using it. Almost a citrusy sort of tang to the yeast. Thinking of using some Tettnanger in both at the finish just to get that light hop aroma, though not much.

Rice hulls for both!

I know that I will get beer and that the only way to find out if these are a good match is to make them. I mean how many recipes have been made utilizing US-05? Every style possible! I looked through the Wheat and Rye section for ideas on recipes and realized that I either have to be traditional and buy ingredients or make up a different version that might work well.

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Last edited by Matt Up North; 03-12-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

The wit-less will be nothing like a wit. Without pilsner malt, unmalted wheat and a belgian yeast, much of the character of a true wit is missing.

From your description of the yeast, it sounds more like an "american" style wheat yeast.

Both of those recipes look good to me in that respect. Nice and simple, good balance of grains. It looks a little overboard on the coriander and zest, but I don't have a lot of experience with that.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. I really don't want to have to go out and get any new grains right now, so I will most likely just go more the wheat style. I just want a light drinking beer that will feature the wheat yeast well.

Quick Reply