Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > got some New Zealand hops, need help with a recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default got some New Zealand hops, need help with a recipe

Hello everyone! I just got my hands on some New Zealand hops for the first time, and I'm dying to make an IPA out of them. I tried Sierra Nevada's Southern Hemisphere Harvest, and absolutely loved it. Here's their page on the beer:http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/harvest_southern.html

They list their bittering hops as NZ Hallertau, and the finishing hops as Motueka and Southern Cross.

Here are the hops I have on hand, in ounces:

2 x New Zealand Pacific Jade Hop Pellets
4 x New Zealand Motueka Pellet Hop
4 x Galaxy Hops Pellet
3 x New Zealand Hallertau Hop Pellets

I wasn't able to get Southern Cross, so I took the liberty of subbing some other NZ hops in. It doesn't have to be exactly like Sierra Nevada's beer, any deliciously aromatic, citrusy IPA will do I've also considered cheating a little bit and adding in some Sorachi to compensate for the lack of what Beersmith describes as the "spicy, lemony" taste of Southern Cross.

As for the grain bill, I'm gonna keep it simple to allow the hops to shine through, with 13lbs 2 row and 1lb caramel 60, all fermented with good old Safale.

Any advice on the hops schedule/amounts? I am completely unfamiliar with NZ hops, but I know a great IPA when I taste one, and this sucker was fantastic. Any advice is appreciated!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well, I found Southern Cross hops, so I now have 4oz on their way to me...plus 4 more Motueka...plus 2 more galaxy... Have I mentioned how much I love hops?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 135

The only NZ hops I have tried were Motueka. I did an IPA with Amarillo and Motueka. It was very good.

Now that you have brought this up I may have to make it again.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

How did you use the Motueka? I'm still conflicted on how I want to bitter/finish/dryhop this beer. The website says they use the NZ Hallertau for bittering, but there seems like there are better choices in there. Then again, what do I know?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
How did you use the Motueka? I'm still conflicted on how I want to bitter/finish/dryhop this beer. The website says they use the NZ Hallertau for bittering, but there seems like there are better choices in there. Then again, what do I know?
I bittered with magnum. Then added equal patts Amarillo and Moteuka at 15-5- flameout, and then dry hopped with the Moteuka. I like a lot of late addition hops in my brews so I do a bittering addition and then most of my additions from 20 to the end.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
beachy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have attempted a clone of this too.
I bittered with southern cross but next time would use magnum. The SC is just too smooth for an IPA.
I used 2.5g/L (1.25g/L each) of motueka and southern cross @ 10min, 0min and dry hop for 7 days.
50IBU but tastes nothing like that. I also used wy1469 which has made it malty and possibly is hiding the hops a bit.
Next time I will up all hops to 3.5-4g/L( as i do for an AIPA using US hops) ,bitter with magnum and use a less malty yeast like US05.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I brewed up and have on tap right now what I call the Pacific Belgian. It's pretty much a belgian IPA with New Zealand only hops. I used a bunch of New Zealand Hallertau and Pacific Jade for flavor/aroma/dryhopping with the Green Bullet for bittering. It's a weird beer and I'm still kind of undecided how I feel about it. The Pacific Jade lists black pepper corn as a flavor contribution and that really comes through in the finish. It's probably enhanced with some of the Belgian yeast flavor but I would say go light on those because I thought that would be more subdued.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm trying to decide if I want to bitter with one of the NZ hops I have, or if I should just cheat a little and grab an oz or two of Magnum. Also, dry hopping...lots to think about! It's gonna be my first brew in a few months, I can't wait

Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I see that Northern Brewer uses Pacific Jade as a FWH in their kiwi IPA. The rest of the hops in the recipe are a blend called "kiwi express." I wish I knew what those hops were!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
flyingfinbar
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Any suggestions? My hops have started rolling in, and I'd love to get a batch cooking as soon as I have a few hours away from the obligations of student teaching!

Quick Reply