Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Got a Beer Brewing date (!), need a belgian recipe!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
cfonnes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadbuttrue View Post

And.. as promised.. pics Joe Creepo style

Attachment 69428
Dude that is creepy. 10 years down the road when she reads this thread she will take the kids and the house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #32
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
Dude that is creepy. 10 years down the road when she reads this thread she will take the kids and the house.
Nah. 10 years from now she'll have 11 million grievances bigger than that harmless pic!
www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #33
ajlee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes

I'd be more worried that she's a member here. I'm suprised she hasn't seen this whole thread already...

Glad it went well!!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadbuttrue View Post
well, 200 was a slight exageration, but they were asking $160 for the gatorade bucket + a valve + the filter thing (still not totally sure what is entailed). so we just subbed stuff out. someday

out of curiousity, whats the table sugar for? never seen that in a brew before (though i've used it for priming)
You should maybe have done some reading ahead if you realized it was an AG recipe, you could have done it BIAB, there's a ton of threads on it.

As to the Sugar, in Belgian and many other styles of beers, it is added to add fermentables without increasing the body of the beer. It raises gravity without making the beer fuller. The best example is to compare a Belgian Dubbel and a Barleywine, both have around the same gravity, the same abv, but they are two different beers in terms of body. Barleywines are thicker, and heavier beers, some like liqeurs, while Dubbels and Triples are thinner in body....and that's because some of the fermentables are simple sugars.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

sweetcell Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #35
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you're doing this BIAB you usually don't sparge but are using your full water volume.
not sure what the norm is, but i know plenty of BIAB'ers who don't mash in full volume and who sparge. i regularly hit over 80% efficiency by mashing 1.33qt/lb, then dunking the mashed grains in another pot of water @ 168*F (aka sparging). mashing at full volume means that the enzymes are too diluted and might not make contact with all the starches.

i realize this might not be the original way australians developed BIAB, and i'm not saying this is the "right way"... just wanna make folks aware of the alternatives.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #36
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I think you need to switch to AG brewing. There is at least an hour to kill during the mash.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #37
sadbuttrue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
:lol: i needed proof i was brewing with a female. its here. there is no compromising identity information, faces, or embarrassing content found. if this seriously upsets the girl, i wouldn't bother with date 2 anyway

Old 07-25-2012, 03:04 AM   #38
sadbuttrue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

and the date went from roughly 3pm to a hair before 11pm without sparging. but yes, next time I'll look into it more.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:02 AM   #39
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

No late boil extract additions?

www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 AM   #40
nullifidian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Play it safe - filter out that nasty trub. Be sure to put a grain bag over the 'ol racking cane.

Quick Reply