Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Gose recipe...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Gose recipe...

Looking to make this for my next batch. Plan would be to do my normal mash with only ~1# of the acid malt (perhaps less, I haven't run the numbers yet), as the acid in the additional might hurt conversion, then adding the additional acid malt after about 45 minutes of the mash. Looking for a nice tart character, but not a strong sourness.

I also chose to go with a combo of US-05 and WLP300, as I don't want the "hefe" characteristic to be overwhelming. I understand Gose is traditionally brewed with a hefe yeast at low temps (~62), but from what I've heard about hefe yeasts is that you tend to get prominent clove down in those ranges. My theory is that US-05 will chug along very happily at 62, and the hefe will give some of the natural stylistic aspects of a gose without going overboard. But I've never mixed yeasts, so I'm unclear if my theory is correct...

Thoughts?

---------------------------------------

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 7.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
3.00 lb Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.50 oz Sea Salt (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [StartYeast-Wheat

Mash @ 152 deg.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Oldsock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've never heard that they were brewed with hefe strains, but I'm not saying it isn't true. The mixed yeast certainly sounds like a reasonable approach.

I might back down on the salt to 1 oz, you can always add more if you need it. When I brewed one I also used only .5 oz of coriander, which was enough for me.

The acid malt plan should work as well, 2-3 lbs sounds like a good range for what you are aiming for.

Good luck, remember to post your results.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 07-16-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
dirty_martini
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock
I've never heard that they were brewed with hefe strains, but I'm not saying it isn't true. The mixed yeast certainly sounds like a reasonable approach.

I might back down on the salt to 1 oz, you can always add more if you need it. When I brewed one I also used only .5 oz of coriander, which was enough for me.

The acid malt plan should work as well, 2-3 lbs sounds like a good range for what you are aiming for.

Good luck, remember to post your results.
I believe in the Brewing with Wheat book, they say Gose was made with traditional Bavarian wheat strains. I actually just kegged mine tonight. I used white labs hefe IV since the banana is muted and the clove is more prominent character. The first gose I brewed I tried different yeasts and preferred the hefe yeast over the cleaner German ale or us-05. Just ferment cooler to keep it from putting out too much character, but that light clove note is nice with the coriander and salt.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've backed down the salt to 1.25 oz. Based on a discussion I had with Tyler from The Bruery, anywhere between ~1 oz and maybe ~1.85 oz would be stylistically appropriate, so knowing that I keg and can always increase it, I'm going to start a bit lower than 1.5 oz.

I boosted the Wheat to 10#, Acid to 4#, and dropped the Pils to 4#. That gives me a 55%/45% wheat mix, which I think is closer to what I've seen of 60/40 description of the style.

And I actually chose to go with 2 packs of US-05 and 1 vial of WLP300, which I'll pitch without a starter.

Quick Reply