New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Gose anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
landhoney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Gose anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gose

I just made a starter of Pedio last night, it supposedly produces lactic acid in greater amounts than Lactobacillus. And I want to add it to a bunch of beers, including a Gose style beer. I'm not sure Pedio works the same as Lacto though. The recipe below supposedly makes a good Gose without it, but I'd like to add Pedio to create a stylistically more accurate beer(or just better all around).

Its similar to a Berliner Weisse, some say more sour and some less, but includes oats, corriander, and salt. If anyone has had one, I'd be interested to hear your impressions.

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 2/24/2005
Style: Specialty, Experimental, Historical Beer Brewer: Dennis
Batch Size: 5.50 gal Assistant Brewer: Judy
Boil Volume: 7.39 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb German Pale Malt (2 SRM) Grain 33.3 %
3.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2 SRM) Grain 33.3 %
2.00 lb Acid Malt (3 SRM) Grain 19.0 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 9.5 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1 SRM) Grain 4.8 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Leaf [4.8%] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Leaf [4.8%] (20 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 oz Sea Salt (Boil 45.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bavarian Wheat (Wyeast Labs #3638) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.030-1.110 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.006-1.024 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Color: 5 SRM (5-50 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 26.4 IBU (5.0-70.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.7 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.2 % (2.5-12.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.1 %

Whatya think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

holly ****, WTH.. get back in the chat.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think he went off the deep end.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The bar that I frequent sells a Gose. It is $30.00 for 750ml so I haven't brought myself to buy it yet. Should be interesting!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Looks like the Pedio might be problematic, anyway I'm going to do a sour mash as well. I'm droping the Munich(don't see the need), and going to pitch Notingham along with the 3638 and doing primary fermentation cold(62-66F) and then raise the temperature for the Pedio once primary fermentation is complete.

Also, I got some long/skinny neck bottles like the old Gose came in. The long neck was designed to not need any cap/cork, a plug/pellicle would form in the long neck and keep the beer 'protected'(see 'Gose' in Radical Brewing). Anyway the link below is the style bottles I have(it looks squarish in the pick, but its round with a long slender neck and blue glass). I'll take picks of mine once their filled/bottled, I plan on just using a normal cork(it works).
http://www.ushbc.org/photos/Tomasello.jpg

Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Wow that looks like a pain in the ass-

Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
Wow that looks like a pain in the ass-
Mike you have the power to see the future! Cold temps, three rain interruptions, a slow mash/sparge runoff, and completely forgetting the salt/corriander( I took some wort out and boiled the salt/coriander seperately after) made for an 'interesting' brew day. All in all it turned out well I think. I'm really excited to see how this turns out.

Also, based on the Kaiser's comments the Munich got back on the grainbill.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Did you end up doing two separate mashes?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 AM   #9
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Did you end up doing two separate mashes?
Way to rub salt in the wound Just kidding, but I forgot that was another mini-problem, I did do a seperate mash on the stove for the acid malt and right at the end the grains started to caramelize/stick on the bottom. It really wasn't a big deal, but doing different things in adverse conditions did seem to cause some troubles. Like I said though, I think the beer turned out fine so far.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just found this article by Michael Jackson(maybe?, in Beer Hunter anyway). I underlined the more important parts in terms of recipe formulation and tasting, just in case anyone ever wants to brew this besides me :

"I was in Leipzig on a Wednesday evening, not typically the best for the pub and restaurant business anywhere, and the Bayrischer Bahnhof was packed. By far the most popular beer was the Gose. This is made principally from grains grown locally and malted in nearby Krostitz. The grist comprises between 50 and 60 per cent malted wheat. The other malts are a Pilsener and a small proportion of Munich. The hops are Northern Brewer (for bitterness) and Perle, from the nearby Elbe-Saale growing area. Like most wheat beers, Gose has a low hop bitterness. In this particular style, the balancing dryness is provided by the ground coriander seeds and salt, which are added in the whirlpool.
When I tasted a prototype Gose, four years ago, I felt that its refreshing acidity was too overtly citric, and that a lactobacillus should be used. This was a passing comment - I am not a technical consultant - and I was gratified to be told by proprietor Schneider that he had taken up my suggestion. The main fermentation is with a Weihenstephan wheat beer yeast, but both this and the secondary are in cylindro-conical tanks. These are used as unitanks, with a cold lagering.

Again, the wheat should provide crispness but the typically estery flavours from the yeast must not overpower the spicing. The beer has a starting gravity of 11.0-11.25 (1044-45), and emerges with an alcohol content of 4.6 per cent by volume (3.7w).

All the beers at Bayrischer Bahnhof are unfiltered. The Gose has a full haze; a yellowish color; a fine, sustained, bead; a hint of apple-skin aroma on the nose; a light but smooth, textured, body; restrained ripe-plum fruitiness in the palate; and a dry, herbal, coriander finish. The tangy, refreshing, sharpness of the salt is quite subtle. The use of coriander and salt in this beer is contrary to the the German Beer Purity Law, the Reinheitsgebot, and this posed a difficulty when the style was revived. Now that the beer is on a firm footing, the state of Saxony has been persuaded to grant an exemption. After all, Gose existed before Northern Germany had accepted the Beer Purity Law, which was originally a Bavarian measure. "

Glad I kept the Munich malt in, thanks again Kaiser. The fact that the yeast is not supposed to overpower the coriander leads me to belive that the beer is indeed fermented at lower temp than other German wheat beers were the flavor is called for.

Quick Reply