Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Goose Island Sofie...AG Clone ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Brocster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Goose Island Sofie...AG Clone ideas?

Just had my first bottle of this last night and was blown away. I can't seem to find a direct recipe match anywhere and was hoping someone may have an idea on a recipe formulation.

I would rate this as the best Farmhouse Ale/Saison that I have tried.

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 952 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2018

I don't have a recipe, but they've got quite a lot of info on their site (I've used it before in helping to brew) http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/sofie/28.php

Have you tried Goose Island's Matilda? Its a wonderful Belgian style ale, just outstanding!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Matilda's very good. Sofie is awesome, though, just a fantastic beer.

There's a lot of info on that page to get you in the ballpark:
Malt: Pilsner, wheat
I'd go Belgian pilsner and wheat malt, probably about 10% wheat to start with
ABV: 6.5%, very dry
Yeast: wild (It tastes Brett brux-y to me.)

I'd probably go with French Saison yeast and a Brett B. culture added after a couple of days of primary. Mash higher than a typical saison, more in the normal 153ish range, to leave a little for the brett to work with. 9 lbs of pilsen and 1 lb of wheat malt gets you in the ABV ballpark if final attenuation (after brett's done its work) is good.

Hops: Amarillo, 25 IBUs
I'd probably go 1oz at 60 minutes (plus or minus--hit the IBUs with the AA% of your hops) with no late additions. Not much hop aroma that I remember here.

Oaking: Definitely needs an oaking regimen. Medium toast oak cubes. They're previously used, so I'd boil in water for 30 minutes to get rid of some of the harsher character. If you really want to simulate the wine barrel thing, you could soak them in a dry white wine for a few weeks ahead of time. It's not a super oaky character, so I'd taste after 3 weeks or so and see if there's enough or keep going.

Citrus: It's not an overpowering citrus, so I'd be tempted to do this at the start of aging rather than the end. Maybe zest an orange in at the time you add the oak?

With the brett in there you're going to want to age it for a good long while before bottling.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 05-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Matilda's very good. Sofie is awesome, though, just a fantastic beer.

There's a lot of info on that page to get you in the ballpark:
Malt: Pilsner, wheat
I'd go Belgian pilsner and wheat malt, probably about 10% wheat to start with
ABV: 6.5%, very dry
Yeast: wild (It tastes Brett brux-y to me.)

I'd probably go with French Saison yeast and a Brett B. culture added after a couple of days of primary. Mash higher than a typical saison, more in the normal 153ish range, to leave a little for the brett to work with. 9 lbs of pilsen and 1 lb of wheat malt gets you in the ABV ballpark if final attenuation (after brett's done its work) is good.

Hops: Amarillo, 25 IBUs
I'd probably go 1oz at 60 minutes (plus or minus--hit the IBUs with the AA% of your hops) with no late additions. Not much hop aroma that I remember here.

Oaking: Definitely needs an oaking regimen. Medium toast oak cubes. They're previously used, so I'd boil in water for 30 minutes to get rid of some of the harsher character. If you really want to simulate the wine barrel thing, you could soak them in a dry white wine for a few weeks ahead of time. It's not a super oaky character, so I'd taste after 3 weeks or so and see if there's enough or keep going.

Citrus: It's not an overpowering citrus, so I'd be tempted to do this at the start of aging rather than the end. Maybe zest an orange in at the time you add the oak?

With the brett in there you're going to want to age it for a good long while before bottling.
Just to pull that stream of consciousness together, first guess:

Mash 9 lbs of Belgian pilsner and 1 lb of wheat malt @153F until full conversion
Add 1 oz of Amarillo @60 mins

Ferment with Wyeast 3711 French Saison (proper starter); after 48 hours, pitch Brett B as well

When primary is done, rack to secondary, add the oak cubes (treated as above) and orange zest. After c. 3 weeks, taste for oakiness; you want the overall oak to be just a bit more than you'd want in the final product. If it's not there yet, taste again every week (or longer if it was nowhere near).

Once you're there, rack to a new secondary. Let bulk age for 6 months before bottling.

On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Brocster
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to try to get a good replica going. Great ideas from the posters here...

btw... I really like Matilda too. I think it is a fantastic beer, but I was blown away by Sofie, especially since the style is not my favorite.

What does everyone think of fermentation temps? I am wondering if mid 70's ambient is the right call.

Bottled: Imperial Hefe, Saison, Apfelwein
Kegged: ESB, Foundation Stout, Brothers English IPA, Kolsch, Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Abbey Dubbel
Primary: Imperial Cherry Bavarian Hefe, Imperial Cherry Brussel Abbey
On Deck: World Class ESB, BKRye
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot." -- Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

Old 05-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

I'd pitch at 70F ambient and let it free rise. The 3711 doesn't need to ferment as hot as the Belgian saison yeast.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was underwhelmed by Sofie. I guess I need to try it again. There's definitely Brett B in there, but not a ton (although I bet this varies with bottle age). I would mash lower and add the brett later otherwise I think you'll end up with too much Brett character.

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Old 05-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchepillar View Post
I was underwhelmed by Sofie. I guess I need to try it again. There's definitely Brett B in there, but not a ton (although I bet this varies with bottle age). I would mash lower and add the brett later otherwise I think you'll end up with too much Brett character.
Could be. Sofie seemed to have a pretty reasonable brett character to me--not overwhelming, but it was a noticeably funky beer. Like you say that probably varies with age.

Usually for a bretty-beer I'll mash high and pitch brett together with the main strain, so I was thinking a normal (153ish) mash temp and a 2 day delay on the brett pitch would mute it some (especially since the 3711 Saison is a beast; it rips through wort IME). But I could see it being too much, especially if your Sofie was light on the brett character.

Of course, the joy of homebrewing is that ultimately it's up to what Brocster wants taste-wise just as much as what Sofie did tastewise!

Brett B (as opposed to Brett C or L) was just a guess based on my memory of the flavor--Sofie seemed barnyard/leathery, but nothing really in the way of sourness or fruitiness. Any other ideas are certainly welcome.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #9
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 7

here is an interesting video with the Goose Island Brewer.

http://www.bsbrewing.com/blog/2010/05/table-beer/

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin
munklunk Likes This 
Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I had it last weekend.
I'm thinking WY 3724 (Belgian saison) might be the way to go instead of the French saison WY 3711.
My reasoning being that the above brewer video notes acid on the finish which is in the WY description of # 3724 & not # 3711.
thoughts?

anyone brewed the clone?

Quick Reply