Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Goose Island Matilda Extract Recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
jd3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Goose Island Matilda Extract Review

I've searched and searched, and even tried to revive a few old threads. I am wondering if anyone has any sort of Goose Island Matilda extract recipe?

I had it for the first time last night and it was amazing.

Anything close? Any kits close? Extract/specialty grains is my current limit, so I know my options are somewhat limited.

I don't know how to convert ag recipes, and my attempts to understand it are... well, yeah.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

what do you guys think of this recipe? Regardless of if it is a perfect clone: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/381f3571/

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract 7 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Munich 0 lbs, 8 oz
Styrian Golding Pellets 2 oz @ 75 mins
Saaz, US Pellets 1.75 oz @ 20 mins
Saaz, US Pellets .25 oz @ 0 mins
Wyeast Labs Trappist Blend - Private Collection 1 ea

I know the trappist blend is not a "saison" yeast but I want some of the wild characteristics the matilda seems to carry.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed a Matilda inspired beer last night...all grain, though. Based roughly off of some of the matilda clone recipies in other threads on HBT, but modified to my taste and ingredients I had on hand.

Don't know yet how it will turn out, but can post recipe/results in a few months.

my recipe was basically 10# belgian pilsner malt and 1# caramunich II. you could sub DME for the pilsner and steep the caramunich (I guess that is what your recipe does). I reduced the bitterness charge and increased the aroma charge of hops, but kept with the styrian goldings for bittering and saaz for the rest. I am using french saison yeast and wyeast Brett L.

The recipe you have seems a little light on the caramunich to me, but otherwise okay. I believe on the Goose Island website they list the IBUs as 45...I think 2 oz of styrian upfront may go over that.

post back what you end up brewing and how it turns out. I was recently in Chicago on business and drank a TON of Matilda one night...very yummy!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input. I adjusted it some, noticing the SRM was pretty high on it, for the style

Ingredient Name Amount
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract
7 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt
1 lbs, 0 oz
Caramel Munich
0 lbs, 4 oz
Styrian Golding Pellets
2 oz @ 75 mins
Saaz, US Pellets
1.75 oz @ 20 mins
Saaz, US Pellets
.25 oz @ 0 mins
Bitter Orange Peel - 1 oz.
.5 oz @ 10 mins
Wyeast Labs Trappist Blend - Private Collection
1 ea
8 ingredients. $38.87

I also added orange peal, as it seems the sophie(i know... different) has that and I like that characteristic. Hmmm... not sure about it though.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I don't know how to convert to extract but here is the All-grain I just whipped up. I had it the other night and it's based off that combined with some of the stats for it off the Goose Island website.

Matilda (Belgian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.064 (°P): 15.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 7.03 %
Colour (SRM): 9.4 (EBC): 18.5
Bitterness (IBU): 32.3 (Rager)

86.96% Pale Malt
5.14% Cane/Beet (White) Sugar
3.95% Caravienna
2.77% Crystal 80
1.19% Crystal 120

1 oz Saaz (5.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.25 oz Saaz (5.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 oz Styrian Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.25 oz Saaz (5.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 oz Styrian Golding (4.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 152°F for 75 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Pitch at 63 and let rise to 72 over the course of a week with Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes

Finish with Brett Brux 5112 or Brett L 5526 at kegging. If bottling, pitch brett in a secondary, wait a month or until gravity has hit terminal gravity, bottle as normal.

Time to have some fun

Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone have any input on using the trappist blend for yeast instead of a saison then brett.

Someone had suggested it in a different post, so I am not sure.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I don't have personal experience with the Trappist Blend (isn't it quite old by now...thought it was in the Wyeast limited release in January, no?), but sounds like it would work fine on this beer. I used the 3711 french saison pitched with Brett L at the same time in primary. Most attempts I've seen have used the Belgian Strong Golden yeast + brett ...some do brett in primary with yeast, others in secondary...guess it depends on how much funk you want in your final product.

Let us know how this turns out!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoder View Post
I don't have personal experience with the Trappist Blend (isn't it quite old by now...thought it was in the Wyeast limited release in January, no?), but sounds like it would work fine on this beer. I used the 3711 french saison pitched with Brett L at the same time in primary. Most attempts I've seen have used the Belgian Strong Golden yeast + brett ...some do brett in primary with yeast, others in secondary...guess it depends on how much funk you want in your final product.

Let us know how this turns out!
I'm not terribly worried about the age of the yeast. I'll start a good starter(and this isn't a particularly huge beer). I've used year old washed yeasts before.

I've never used Brett, so I guess I'm just nervous. I have 3711 washed in the fridge, so I could just add it to Brett L. I like it to be pretty "wild".

I got some 2009 Sophie this week and it is definitely more mellow than the 2011 stuff.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

took my first sample last night... down to 1.004! (mashed at 152, but added candi syrup a few days into ferment). Sadly there is little Brett character in it. Thinking about feeding it. should I use more candi syrup, or malto-dexterine? It would be nice to gain a little more body and/or bring out the brett...suggestions?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I am going to brew this on friday. I am using 3711 and brett L. When should I add the Brett L.

Quick Reply