Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
SevenFields
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=novafire;2182331]I have been able to make a decent approximation of the regular BCS with just the information from the web site and aging the beer on oak for about 3 weeks with some bourbon added to taste.

BCS changes from year to year as they change bourbon barrel sources from time to time, so it can be hard to dial things in exactly.[/QU

Care to post your recipe?

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
kingjohnh
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for all of the suggestions and keeping this thread going. Novafire, if you could post your recipe for BCS that would be a great start. If anyone else has a recipe that they would like to share (either self-generated or found on the net) that would be great.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Here is the first recipe I came up with based on the ingredients listed on Goose Island's web site. I assumed that the malts listed were listed in order of amounts used, which may or may not be accurate, but it seemed to make sense: "2-Row, Munich, Chocolate, Caramel, Roast Barley, Debittered Black".

I took some liberties using a different bittering hop (summit). These hops were a little old, so that is why my IBUs look higher than the 60 IBU stated on the web site. I also did not have any debittered black barley at the time to I just used 2 oz of black barley, but I highly doubt that made much of a difference - such a small amount in such a huge beer.

I think this recipe is a little light on the darker malts, so the next time I made it, I bumped those up. I can post that recipe next.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BCS #1
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 4.50 gal
Boil Size: 5.83 gal
Estimated OG: 1.113 SG
Estimated Color: 48.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 81.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Code:
Amount          Item                                    Type        % or IBU     
17 lbs 8.0 oz   Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)  Grain       77.4 %       
2 lbs           Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                   Grain       8.8 %        
1 lbs           Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 Grain       4.4 %        
12.0 oz         Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)  Grain       3.3 %        
12.0 oz         Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)          Grain       3.3 %        
8.0 oz          Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM)     Grain       2.2 %        
1.9 oz          Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)        Grain       0.5 %        
1.00 oz         Summit [18.00%]  (60 min)               Hops        75.5 IBU     
1.00 oz         Hallertauer [3.00%]  (30 min)           Hops        6.4 IBU      
1 Pkgs          American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)        Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 22.62 lb
Code:
Name             Description                              Step Temp   Step Time   

Mash In          Add 28.28 qt of water at 160.2 F         146.0 F     75 min
Notes:

Aged for 3 weeks on 1oz Maker's Mark soaked american oak chips.

Pitched on a US-05 yeast cake from a ~1.050 pale ale.

The taste is not as chocolate sweet as real BCS, but it does have a great bourbon/oak flavor.

I always make another beer out of the second and third runnings of a beer this big. I usually cap the mash with a little more chocolate malt and some crystal to add back what seems to disappear after the first runnings are gone.

Last edited by novafire; 07-27-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #14
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Why would you use such a low temperature? I would assume a higher temp for a larger body.

I am however, assuming you could still get a decent amount of attenuation for the alcohol level.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #15
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The one extreme characteristic to this beer is its insane viscosity level. I have never felt like I was chewing on a beer before this.

There has to be more than just the traditional ingredients to gain this complexity. Or they use a unique fermentation technique.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 07-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #16
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Here is the recipe that I have done most recently. It is still aging, so I cannot comment about flavor beyond the fact that it smelled and tasted pretty good when I racked to secondary about a month ago. I increased most of the specialty grains and added more late addition hops. Again I used a higher AA hop for bittering because I did not want to use up a lot of Willamette and maybe lessen trub loss a little. I also used de-bittered black this time, but I am still a little confused why it's included at all. This beer is dark enough either way. I had some pale chocolate malt on hand, so I used both pale and regular chocolate as well.

One more thing, neither of these recipes will get you to the 13% ABV that real BCS comes in at. I tried to keep these recipes a little more manageable for my MLT size while still coming out with 4.5-5 gal of beer. Someday when I am 100% happy with a recipe, I will bump the 2-row up to reach 13% ABV.

I will bottle this batch very soon and will post how it compares to my previous attempt and the real BCS.

I welcome any comments or suggestions.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: BCS #2
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.122 SG
Estimated Color: 69.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Code:
Amount          Item                                    Type        % or IBU     
19 lbs 8.0 oz   Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM)  Grain       70.9 %       
2 lbs 8.0 oz    Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                   Grain       9.1 %        
1 lbs           Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess) (80.0 Grain       3.6 %        
1 lbs           Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)  Grain       3.6 %        
1 lbs           Chocolate (Briess) (350.0 SRM)          Grain       3.6 %        
1 lbs           Pale Chocolate Malt (200.0 SRM)         Grain       3.6 %        
1 lbs           Roasted Barley (Briess) (300.0 SRM)     Grain       3.6 %        
8.0 oz          Carafa II (412.0 SRM)                   Grain       1.8 %        
2.00 oz         Northern Brewer [8.90%]  (60 min)       Hops        64.9 IBU     
1.00 oz         Williamette [4.80%]  (10 min)           Hops        3.5 IBU      
1.00 oz         Williamette [4.80%]  (1 min)            Hops        2.9 IBU      
1 Pkgs          American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)        Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 27.50 lb
Code:
Name             Description                              Step Temp   Step Time   
Mash In          Add 34.38 qt of water at 166.3 F         149.0 F     90 min
Notes:

Last edited by novafire; 07-27-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haputanlas View Post
Why would you use such a low temperature? I would assume a higher temp for a larger body.

I am however, assuming you could still get a decent amount of attenuation for the alcohol level.
With larger beers like this, you will still get a rather high FG simply due to the large malt bill. My first batch ended at 1.029 even when mashed so low. You could certainly mash higher and achieve a even more viscous final gravity. For my first attempt I decided to err on the side of caution and did not want 5 gal of chocolate syrup.

Last edited by novafire; 07-27-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
kingjohnh
Recipes 

Thanks so much for the help Novafire! I'm gathering my materials and plan on brewing next weekend. I'll probably boost the dark malts to get more chocolate and mash at a higher temp to get increase viscosity.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:03 PM   #19
kingjohnh
Recipes 

Hey Novafire,

I also had Goose Island's Matilda at their restaurant near Wrigley. Another great beer! Anyone have a clone for that? I came across these clones, but the first one with wheat can't be correct and the 2nd one calls for Hallertauer and the Goose Island webpage lists Syrian and Saaz.

http://free90free.com/peshchat/viewt...hlight=matilda

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Broken
Recipes 

Bumping an old thread...

Hey all, new here. Looking for a little advice.

I want to brew this Bourbon County Clone this weekend but I am limited to partial mash. I was going to take the last recipe from Nova and sub the Pale Ale Malt grain with Pale Liquid Extract. Does this make sense?

I used beersmith to put this together and it looks like 11 lbs of Extract to get me to 11.63% ABV. That leaves 8 lbs of grain to mash still.

Is there any reason to partial mash the Pale Ale Malt grain? Say a few pounds. Or is it all the same to go completely extract for that.

Appreciate any help,
Thanks!

Last edited by Broken; 02-07-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply